Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay's Proposal

On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:06 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> For the two documents in question to be part of the conformance
> criteria, calling them "templates" seems insufficient.
>
> I expect, rather, that we would treat these documents as "specs
> about specs".  That is, they should define what an implementation
> specification MUST include, what it SHOULD include, and what it MUST
> NOT include (although I'm puzzling over what appropriately fits into
> the last category - "MUST NOT include the text of the Magna
> Carta."? ).  Only when a spec satisfies those criteria can someone
> then turn around and claim that their implementation type is
> conforming.
This is along the lines of an approach i suggested several months ago
as a possible way forward, that the TC decided was "too hard/
complicated" to address in the remaining 1.1 timeframe. You claim
conformance of your implementation type, by claiming that it
implements and conforms to what i would describe as the meta spec.
   (BTW: one of the criteria i believe should be a test suite.)

> Of course, as we discussed on the call today, it is really up to the
> TC to decide how we approach this problem, but that's my take.
> That's why I prefer opening new issues against 1.2.

I agree that this should be discussed for 1.2, but I think it is way
too late in the game for the 1.1 train -- especially because IMO this
needs to be a rigorous spec, carefully vetted, reviewed, and debugged.
It will take several months to do so, irrespective of the extra time
for public reviews, etc.

One other issue I just thought of is that if the TC adopts this
approach, I wonder if an unintended consequence might be that there
are no more C&I specs adopted by OASIS. Why would I as a vendor want
to subject my work to review and standardization by another group when
i don't have to. In fact, what would prevent, say Oracle, from
shipping its own java or bpel implementation type and claiming
conformance? something to think about... since the assumption has been
that this would be used only for "new" languages.

> I still think it is useful to talk to Mary or other OASIS staff to
> see if this question has arisen before, and how it has been dealt
> with.

The OASIS Process Committee has been dealing with this for several
years. It finally completed a proposed changed to the TC Process which
would create a new class of documents, tentatively named Committee
Notes. A draft of the proposal was posted to the chairs list, i
believe, a while ago. Some board members strongly objected to adopting
it because they are opposed to CNs being subject to the (protections
of) the OASIS IPR Policy. The current status is that board decided to
defer voting pending further deliberations.

So i'm afraid there is not much mary or other oasis staff members can
do with it.

cheers,
   jeff

--
Jeff Mischkinsky			          		jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Sr. Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware 				+1(650)506-1975