Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Issue 227: what does promotion of channels meanwrt intents/policies

Eric,

In service/reference promotion, if you promote a service/reference
outside a composite *and* the same service/reference is also connected
within that composite to a local reference/service using a wire, then
that local wire is not affected by any intent/policy that may be set by
a higher-level composite via the promoted service/reference.

Channels are different (at least the way I view it in my head at the
model-level). They are an abstraction to provide the disconnection
between producers and consumers. Any "matching" that may happen between
producers and consumers happen via the channel. For example, if I have
set 'reliability' intent on the channel then any producer/consumer
connected to that channel would have to provide reliability, otherwise
it would not be a valid connection. As a producer I'm now assured that
any consumer receiving the message via that channel will receive it
reliably. However, if there are consumer that are connected to the
"same" channel at various levels, as a producer I cannot make that
assumption anymore. Which makes me question whether channels when
promoted are really the same channels?  The difference arises out of the
fact that wires in service/reference are one-to-one and connections
between producers/consumers are many-to-many mediated by channel(s).

Hope that makes it clearer.