Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Concrete Exit Criteria for the SCA Assembly TC -Proposal

Folks,

Comments inline...

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 146, Hursley Park
STSM  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)
e-mail: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 22/02/2011 07:04

On 2/18/2011 3:19 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I propose the following as the Exit Criteria to be adopted by the SCA
> Assembly TC:
>
> "The Concrete Exit Criteria for the SCA Assembly V1.1 specification are
> that:
>
> o there shall be 2 independent SCA runtimes that are compliant with all
> normative portions of the
> specification as described in Section 12.2 of the SCA Assembly V1.1
> specification

Would like to clarify that you really meant 'normative portions'. To me,
normative portions include both mandatory and optional parts.

<mje>
Yes, I agree "normative" includes both mandatory and optional - I took this as read.
</mje>

> o the 2 independent runtimes shall pass the Test Suite for SCA Assembly
> as described in the document
> 'TestCases for the SCA Assembly Model Version 1.1 Specification' "
>

> I believe that this is sufficient to cover:
> - the question of conformance to the spec
> - the issues of portability and interoperability
>
> since the test suite is a pretty thorough examination of conformance to
> the spec (there are testcases for
> all normative statements with testable & observable consequences) and
> the test suite is also a test of portability,
> since the test suite has an extensive set of artifacts that are ported
> to each runtime and interoperability is
> checked through the use of Web services being used between the SCA
> runtime and a non-SCA (JAXWS) client.

The test suite is a thorough examination of conformance to the spec, but
the testcases do not test any of the optional bits, regardless of
whether they are testable or not.

<mje>
I agree.

However, I don't think that this undermines the usefulness of the testcases in
validating portability and interoperability - I believe that the testcases check these
pretty well.  As well as the Assembly testcases, we should bear in mind that we are
requiring the runtime to pass the Policy, Web Services and (one) implementation
test suite.

The Web services test suite delves even more deeply into the question of
interoperability, I note the tests there involve JAX-WS clients AND servers that the
SCA runtime is obliged to work with, involving detailed examination of the content of
the SOAP messages in some cases.
</mje>