Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Concrete Exit Criteria for the SCA Assembly TC - Proposal

Hi Jeff,

Comments inline.

Jim

On Feb 23, 2011, at 3:05 PM, Jeff Mischkinsky wrote:

On Feb 23, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Jim Marino wrote:

Hi Martin,

I guess I may now be even more confused, probably because of my ignorance of OASIS rules. Why would the exit criteria for the TC require an implementation to adhere to something that is not normative, specifically running and passing the TC-supplied test suite? Also, who determines whether a runtime passes or not?

I am having a hard time pinning down your confusion.

I guess my confusion was not clear :-)

I understand that the the TC-supplied test suite is not normative and that an entity responsible for an SCA runtime can legitimately claim conformance without running the TC-supplied test suite. It is up to the court of public opinion to validate conformance claims.

My question was why the exit criteria would require two runtimes to also implement/run non-normative TC artifacts? That seems inconsistent with how other non-normative aspects of the specification are handled, such as optional sections, which are not required. Are there other OASIS TCs that have adopted exit criteria which require implementations to pass conformance tests?

There is a test suite that has been developed by the TC. When you take your implementation and run it through the test suite, you get an "answer". That's the answer you are looking for.

The exit criteria require that there be 2 independent impls that run the test suite, and get answer that says "yes" (or all green ;-).

Did you intend to say "the proposed exit criteria"? As it currently stands, the TC charter says nothing about mandating an implementation run the test suite. Assuming exit criteria were adopted that mandated the test suite be passed by two independent runtimes, how would that be done? In other words, who decides and verifies the tests were "all green"? Does the entity responsible for a runtime need to make the test suite and integration code (or binaries) required to plug the runtime into the test suite publicly available? Or is it enough for the entity to claim its runtime passes?

  jeff

Jim