Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Summarizing the state of ASSEMBLY-235

Hi Mike,

To pick a bizarre case, suppose I have two interface descriptions I wish to support for SCA, say one is for CORBA, and one is for WSDL 2.0.

Suppose I decide that they both need to be standardized.  I'm arguing that a direct translation from CORBA to WSDL 2.0 makes much more sense, rather than forcing them both to map to WSDL 1.1 (a mapping, so far as I know, nobody has ever done.)

What you're arguing, it seems to me, is that we cannot trust the authors of those future specifications to define how they optimally interoperate. Instead, we have to tie their hands and map everything to WSDL 1.1.

Assuming there is no complete mapping from WSDL 2.0 to WSDL 1.1, what does that mean?

The options:
a) define a mapping from CORBA to WSDL 2.0, but not to WSDL 1.1. The interfaces will be "standard", but will not be able to claim "conformance". Works, but silly.

b) Map a subset of WSDL 2.0 to WSDL 1.1. Map CORBA to WSDL 1.1. Declare all sorts of situations that might otherwise work as "incompatible" due to the lossy mappings to WSDL 1.1.  Yay! Conformance, but at a cost of the end-user encountering unnecessary incompatibility.

c) Change the base spec so that it gives follow-on specifications the opportunity to specifically name the other remotable interface types that they work with, and how they achieve that compatibility. That gives us the best of both worlds, at the risk of introducing some places where the runtime declares incompatibility between two remote interface types.

I think you're arguing for situation (b), whereas I'm arguing for (c). There are costs to each approach. I think (c) is preferable, because I don't think it is in the interests of the base specification to tie the hands of follow-on specifications, since that extra tying doesn't mean less incompatibility, just different incompatibility.

-Eric.