Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] ISSUE 2 - Callback support over the Web Service binding

Using the wsa:ReplyTo header for the callback endpoint does not seem to
exactly match SCA callback semantics, which allow callback messages to be
directed to a different endpoint from the endpoint that receives the reply
to the original request (by calling setCallbackObject() with a
ServiceReference).  Using wsa:ReplyTo also requires a message ID to be
added to the original request and the same message ID to be returned on
the reply and any callbacks in the wsa:RelatesTo header.  This is more of
an observation than a problem, though it does require extra state to be
maintained for the message IDs being exchanged.

In Tuscany, we did not use wsa:Reply To.  Instead we used the
WS-Addressing wsa:To endpoint reference with reference parameters to
represent the callback endpoint (as a wsa:EndpointReference), the callback
ID, and the conversation ID for stateful callbacks.

I did not propose a specific solution when opening this issue because I
wanted to open this up to as many suggestions and options as possible. The
discussion around wsa:ReplyTo has been interesting.  Perhaps someone will
have an idea on we can overcome the semantic mismatch that I mentioned
above.  I agree that defining a new header for SCA callbacks would be
undesirable.  Even the use of SCA-specific reference parameters seems less
than ideal, but without them I'm not sure how additional information like
the callback ID could be transmitted.  We can't use wsa:MessageID for
this, because of the statement in the WS-Addressing spec that "No two
messages with a distinct application intent may share a [message id]
property."  Perhaps the callback ID could be mapped into a wsa:MessageID
by adding a unique discriminator, so different callback requests could use
distinct message IDs from which the same callback ID could be extracted.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Khanderao Kand <khanderao.kand@oracle.com>
01/10/2007 22:47

Michael Rowley <mrowley@bea.com>
cc
sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [sca-bindings] ISSUE 2 - Callback support over the Web Service binding

Michael Rowley wrote:
> One problem with using WS-Addressing wsa:ReplyTo is that it is usually
> used to send the response message of a request/response pair.  I don't
> think that WS-Address forbids its use for subsequent messages
> (callbacks), but it would at least be unconventional.

[khanderao] IMHO WS-Addressing does not make any assumptions on the
number of returned messages. It is upto the integration scenario to have
one or many.
> However, if we can't use wsa:ReplyTo, that would seem to imply that we
> have to devise our own header to use, but that would be getting
> dangerously close to inventing a wire-level protocol, which we don't
> want to be doing.

[khanderao] Introducing SCA specific correlation / replyTo parameters
would not be essential. As far as possible we should be using the
available standards,  like WSA / WS-Coordination etc..
> Michael

741598.