Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] [Issue 2] Proposal version 3: How to implement SCAcallbacks using SOAP

Tom,

The question worth asking here is how you can draw up this material to be optional and yet normative.

How do you bound the optionality?  There might be quite a number of ways in which you could create a
binding based on web services functionality that implements SCA callback capability.  We don't want to
outlaw those, while it is useful to encourage use of a straightforward and generally implemented set
of capabilities such as are represented by Anish's proposal below.

I suppose that an SCA runtime can claim to conform to the scheme defined in Anish's proposal and what
that would amount to is that the runtime would have to pass some set of conformance tests that are built
based on that proposal.  Being normative at least allows the test(s) to be part of the overall SCA test suite,
even if conforming to those tests is purely optional.

What I am wary of doing is preventing other ways of using the web services specifications/standards to
implement SCA capabilities such as callbacks.  Such alternatives should be possible and perfectly valid.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com