Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] ISSUE 55: WSDL 2.0

Hmmm - I suppose I should put more explanation behind my response:

We've changed the specification such that the @wsdlElement attribute MUST point at a WSDL 1.1 construct.  As a consequence, any way to "extend" the binding.ws element to support WSDL 2.0 means either:
  • You've effectively side-stepped many of the existing elements and attributes of binding.ws by defining alternates that apply to WSDL 2.0 - and you might as well have defined a new element.
  • You've actually made the extension explicitly incompatible with default binding.ws, an approach of dubious merit
Practically, I think that it does mean that any future binding that supports WSDL 2.0 almost certainly is a new binding element.  That extra phrase highlights that we do not think you can extend the binding.ws element in a way that supports WSDL 2.0, and remain conformant to the spec.

-Eric.

Eric Johnson wrote:
4989E019.4060009@tibco.com" type="cite"> Hi David,

David Booz wrote:
OF098C13C9.82ED4D71-ON85257553.00620A15-85257553.006295C9@us.ibm.com" type="cite">

I may have missed some discussion. I was surprised to see this:
"This specification only defines a binding using WSDL 1.1, but does not prohibit a future specification defining a binding for WSDL 2.0."

I was expecting to see this:

This specification only defines a binding using WSDL 1.1, but does not prohibit a vendor from extending the binding to support WSDL 2.0.

The first statement doesn't really say anything since future specs are free to change whatever they want anyway. I would have thought that the important point to address was around concerns that the binding was limited to 1.1 in the presence of a WSDL 2.0 spec, and therefore we need to leave the door open for vendors to go there if they want to.

The way I read the first statement is that we expect any future WSDL 2.0 binding to be a separate binding element, that is, not just an extension to the current binding.

-Eric.