Subject: RE: [sca-j] Raw chat log of 2008-11-11 ALL DAY

Mark Combellack: 9:00 to 9:15 Welcome
Roll call
Appointment of scribe for day 1
Agenda bashing
Approval of minutes of 3rd November call

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/29906/SCA%20Java%20Minutes%202008-11-03.doc

9:15 - 9:30 Accepting new issues
None at the moment

9:30 - 10:40 Local Interfaces, pass by reference and multiple services
JAVA-56 When more than one interface with the same unqualified name used in the @Service annotation
Proposal at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200811/msg00006.html

JAVA-3 Local services expose implementation classes as their type
No proposal but some discussion
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200808/msg00098.html

JAVA-6 @AllowsPassByReference requires more detailed description
No proposal  some suggestions in Jira

10:40 - 11:00 Break

11:00 - 11:02 2 Minutes silence for Remembrance Day
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day#United_Kingdom

11:02 - 12:45 Scopes and Package names
JAVA-28 Package Name Changes
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200811/msg00017.html

JAVA-21 Clarify Request Scope lifetime
Proposal in Jira and http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200811/msg00005.html
Previous discussions at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200803/msg00034.html

JAVA-30 "Process" Scope
Proposal in Jira and at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200807/msg00068.html

12:45 - 1:45 Lunch

1:45 - 3:40 Callbacks
JAVA-25 Callback Simplification
Proposals at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200803/msg00063.html
and http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200809/msg00089.html
Some discussion at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200804/msg00035.html

JAVA-67 Need normative rules for stateful callbacks
No proposal

JAVA-69 Misleading statement about lifetime of stateful callbacks
(Pending proposal from Simon)

JAVA-19 Redirecting callbacks
Proposal in Jira

JAVA-73 Incorrect reference to "original request"
Proposal in Jira

JAVA-52 RequestContext.getCallbackReference() description inadequate
Proposal in Jira

JAVA-74 Clarify meaning of "should implement"
No proposal

JAVA-76 Incorrect code in section 6.7.4 examples
(Pending proposal from Simon)

3:40  4:00 Break

4:00 - 6:00 Callbacks (continued)

6:00 Adjourn

Ashok: test

anish: scribe: anish

anish: Topic: agenda bashing

anish: Jim is interested in callback/conversation, so will delay it by an hour

anish: callback/conversation topic will be reordered

anish: agenda approved with one change

anish: Topic: approval of minutes from 2008-11-03

anish:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/29906/SCA%20Java%20Minutes%202008-11-03.doc

anish: minutes approved w/o

anish: Topic: new issues

anish: no new issue

anish: s/issue/issues

anish: Topic: Issue 56

anish: JAVA-56 When more than one interface with the same unqualified name used in the @Service
annotation
Proposal at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200811/msg00006.html

anish: Mark explains the issue

anish: ... and the proposal

Mark Combellack: If a Java implementation needs to realize two services with the same interface or
two services with the different interfaces that have the same simple class name, then this is
achieved through subclassing of the interface.

Mark Combellack: If a Java Implementation defines a @Service annotation that lists two interfaces
with the same simple class name, the SCA Runtime MUST not deploy that Component

Mark Combellack: Add words between the *** to the paragraph on line 1687:

If a Java implementation needs to realize two services with the same interface *** or two services
with different interfaces that have the same simple name, *** then this is achieved through
subclassing of the interface.

Add the following extra paragraph before line 1690:

If a Java Implementation defines a @Service annotation that lists two interfaces with the same
simple name, the SCA Runtime MUST not deploy that Component

Mark Combellack: Add words between the *** to the paragraph on line 1687:

If a Java implementation needs to realize two services with the same interface *** or two services
with different interfaces that have the same simple name, *** then this is achieved through
subclassing of the interface.

Add the following extra paragraph before line 1690:

If a Java Implementation defines a @Service annotation that lists two interfaces with the same
simple name, the SCA Runtime MUST NOT deploy that Component

Mark Combellack: It is not possible for Components to have Services with the same Java simple name.

Mark Combellack: It is not possible a Components to have more than one Service with the same Java
simple name.

Mark Combellack: It is not possible a Component to have more than one Service with the same Java
simple name.

Mark Combellack: It is not possible for a Component to have more than one Service with the same
Java simple name.

anish: A Component MUST NOT have two Services with the same Java simple name.

Mark Combellack: If a Java implementation needs to realize two services with the same simple name
then this can be achieved through subclassing of the interface.

anish: A component MUST NOT have two services with the same Java simple name.

Mark Combellack: If a Java implementation needs to realize two services with the same Java simple
name then this can be achieved through subclassing of the interface.

Mark Combellack: Replace paragraph at 1687-1689 with:

A component MUST NOT have two services with the same Java simple name. If a Java implementation
needs to realize two services with the same Java simple name then this can be achieved through
subclassing of the interface.

anish: Mark moves Anish Seconds to resolve issue 56 by replacing paragraph at 1687-1689 in CAA CD01
spect with:

anish: A component MUST NOT have two services with the same Java simple name. If a Java
implementation needs to realize two services with the same Java s

anish: imple name then this can be achieved through subclassing of the interface.

Dave Booz: ping

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: issue 56 is resolved with the above motion

anish: Topic: Issue 3

anish: JAVA-3 Local services expose implementation classes as their type
No proposal but some discussion
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200808/msg00098.html

Mark Combellack: More discussions at:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-j/200810/msg00039.html

anish: Discussion on addition of @Local annotation.

anish: @Local can be used in an interface, whereas @service has to be in the impl class

Mark Combellack: Breaking until 11:20

Mark Combellack: Resuming

anish: Action: SimonN to raise 3 issues for each C&I wrt what happens if the annotation rules are
not followed (SCA runtime MUST NOT deploy the component)

anish: Simon moves Dave seconds to close issue 3 with no action

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Resolution: Issue 3 is closed with no action

anish: Topic: Issue 6

anish: JAVA-6 @AllowsPassByReference requires more detailed description
No proposal  some suggestions in Jira

anish: MikeE: two ways: a) get rid of the annotation, OR b) allow the same annotation for the
reference (on the client side)

anish: Action: MikeE to raise an issue in Assembly regarding @AllowPassByReference

anish: Mark: do we have consensus on a direction for this

anish: Action: Simon to provide proposal for issue 6

anish: Topic: issue 28

anish: Mary has come back and suggested org.oasisopen but has said that it is not necessary for
OASIS to own this

anish: General consensus that this does not make sense

anish: Anish moves Simon seconds that using org.oasisopen without OASIS acquiring ownership of the
domain does not make sense. And if OASIS is not willing to buy this domain we prefer to continue
with the org.osoa package name

anish: motion approved w/o

anish: Action: Dave to draft email to raise an objection to TC admin decision

anish: Lunch

anish: resume @ 1:30pm

Simon Nash: Want some bad advice?
Most people believe that moss and lichens grow on the northeast side of trees. Fundamentally
speaking in a perfect
world moss and lichens would only
grow on the northeast side of
trees or rocks. The problem is they will
grow in any cool area that gets very little
direct sunlight and retains a lot of
moisture. In an area that is heavily
forested, or where natural formations
block warming sunlight and drying
winds, moss and lichens can thrive.
What is the best advice? Have an
accurate map and a
compass and know
how to use them.
Learn other natural
navigation
techniques, including
how to use an analog
watch to find south or
following the stars.

Martin C : Scribe: Martin C

Martin C : Topic: Issue 1

Martin C : Mike E goes through his presentation:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200811/msg00032.html

Martin C : Discussion took place as to whether this proposal satisfies the use cases. Acknowleged
that there are different use cases, and some other proposals dont cover them all, which Mike E's
does.

Dave Booz: Was that Jim that joined the call?

anonymous: yes

Dave Booz: Jim, I've got your attendance recorded

Jim Marino: thx

Martin C : Some discussion on the nature of the api.

Martin C : Some support for it to be createAnonComponent on the domainContext

Jim Marino: when it is appropriate, I'd like to comment on passing an implementation instance in
for the API

Dave Booz: ok

Dave Booz: i haven't forgotten you Jim

Martin C : discussion of another api that can be used in combo with createcomponent

Martin C : ServiceRef<interfacetype> = doimainContext.getReference("componentName/ServiceName",
interafcetype)

Martin C : Option 1: a getrefrence api that may also set the callback to the impl

Martin C : option 2: create an anonymous/insible conponet in the domain (can't have deploy service)

Martin C : option 3: create/deploy a bone-fide full capability component

anish: Option 0: a getRefererence api that does not support services or callbacks

Martin C : There was most support for 0 or 1. There was some support for option3

Martin C : there was little support for option 2

Martin C : People can live with eliminating option 2., so its gone

Martin C : Jim if you do 3 then do the whole management job of delete update etc

Martin C : Need two proposals for the two cases.

Martin C : Mike E will write up option 3

Martin C : strike the above

Martin C : Mike E and Dave B will write up one proposal to cover options 0, 1 and 3

Martin C : ACTION: Mike E and Dave B, to write up a proposal to JAVA-1 covering the options decided
at the Nov F2F

Martin C : Topic: JAVA-25

Simon Nash: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200809/msg00089.html

Martin C : http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-25

Martin C : Simon goes through his mail msg00089

Martin C : Only talking about the non-coversational callback case.

Martin C : break for 20 mins
Make your own tea

Mark Combellack: Venue for tonights dinner - http://www.positanocardiff.com/

Mark Combellack: Table booked for 7:00 to 7:30

Mark Combellack: Postcode is CF10 1BG

Martin C : Resuming after break

Martin C : Lively discussion on Simon's email

Martin C : Debate on infrastructure vs application correlation

Martin C : requirement that service and client needs to understand which request a call-back is a
response to

Martin C : Discussion on a thread safe mechanism for crateing an ID that can be sent allong with a
message to help with correlation

Martin C : There will be a burden on the bindings to carry this ID

Martin C : The ID is for a one time invocation

Mark Combellack lowered your hand

Martin C : Discussion on how to ease the burden on the client side

Martin C : Discussion on how to ease the burden on the client side

Martin C : Discussion on how to ease the burden on the client side

Martin C : If this id was binding indepentant can use differnt binding on the call-back

Martin C : Option 1: Do not talk about message correlation, define rules for the server, but say
that if a client wants message correlation they need to worry about this in business data

Martin C : Option 2: Provide a means to carry a binding indepent message id that can be used by
both server and clent. Use of this id would be optional/chooseable for a client

Martin C : s/message id/interaction

Martin C : There was more support for option 1.

Martin C : ACTION: Simon N, write up a propsal outlining spec changes needed to not support message
correllation on callbacks

Martin C : for JAVA-25

Martin C : ACTION: Mark C, to proposae a delta to Simon's action on JAVA-25, to add support for
message corellation on callbacks

Martin C : Topic: Java-67

Martin C : Simon N already has an action for this

Martin C : http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-67

Martin C : Topic: JAVA-19: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-19

Martin C : Discuss outline porposal in java-19

Martin C : Simon proposals that we agree a direction by removing the capability to customise the
call back as described in 6.7.5, and related knock on edits

Martin C : Motion by Simon, Dave B 2nds

Martin C : passed W/O

Martin C : ACTION: Simon N, write spec change proposal to resolve JAVA-19 as dirceted at the Nov
F2F

Martin C : s/dircet/direct/

Martin C : Topic: JAVA-73: http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/JAVA-73

Simon Nash: ... invoke the operation on the callback interface

Simon Nash: ... service reference for the callback interface

Martin C : in section 6.7.4

anish: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents the
service reference for the callback interface

anish: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents the
service reference for its callback interface

Simon Nash: ... the interface through which the callback was made

Simon Nash: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents
the service reference for the interface through which the callback was made

Simon Nash: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents
the service reference through which the callback was made

Simon Nash: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents
the service reference for the callback

Simon Nash: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents
the service reference for the callback to the client

Simon Nash: On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method represents
the service reference for the callback

Martin C : Motion from Anish: Resolve JAVA-73, by changing 1st sentenec of last paragarph in 6.7.4
to !

Martin C : s/!/" On the client side, the object returned by the getServiceReference() method
represents the service reference for the callback"

Martin C : 2nd by Simon N

Martin C : Motion passed w/o