Subject: Re: [sca-j] An appeal against TC Admin decision on Java package names

Dave,
Here is a suggested reply to Eduardo's email.  The first paragraph
is written as from me.  I'm happy to send this to Eduardo to maintain
continuity from the original suspended appeal.  I'm also happy for you
to send it (with the first paragraph suitably reworded) if you prefer.

To all individuals named on copy: Please send any comments.  If you no
longer wish to be part of this appeal, please let me and Dave know.

To other sca-j TC members: If anyone else wishes to join this appeal,
or if you have any comments, please let me and Dave know.

   Simon

To: Eduardo Gutentag
cc: mbgl@us.ibm.com
     booz@us.ibm.com
     martin.chapman@oracle.com
     mcombellack@avaya.com
     Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com
     jim.marino@gmail.com
     michael.rowley@activevos.com
     ashok.malhotra@oracle.com
     mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com
     aupperle@us.ibm.com
     psimha@tibco.com
     mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
     tc-admin@oasis-open.org
     sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org

Dave and I have spoken about whether or not this appeal should be
considered as a new appeal or a continuation of the previous one
that I initiated and agreed to suspend.  We have also consulted the
other appellants.  It is the wish of the appellants that this appeal
be treated as a continuation/resumption of the previous appeal.
Apologies that our previous email was not clear about this.

Accordingly I am copying this email to all the people who were part
of the previous appeal, as well as three other people (Mike Edwards,
Bryan Aupperle and Pradeep Simha) who wish to add their support for
this appeal.  Please advise whether or not it is possible for new
appellants to be added to an appeal that is already in progress.

You are correct that there is relevant history after April 24 which
was inadvertently omitted from the previous email.  To summarize, the
interactions so far on the subject have been as follows:

a) Agreement by OASIS TC Admin to use org.osoa as requested by the TC
    (ref. [1]).

b) Objection by OASIS TC Admin to org.osoa on various grounds, one of
    which was that the osoa.org domain is not owned by OASIS.  Decision
    by OASIS TC Admin to change from org.osoa to org.oasis_open (ref. [2]).

c) Initiation of appeal against the decision to use org.oasis_open as
    the package name prefix (ref. [3]).

d) Discussions between the appellants and OASIS TC Admin on alternative
    prefixes, including the issue of whether or not it is important for
    the domain to be owned by OASIS (ref. [4]).

e) Agreement to suspend the appeal until completion of these discussions
    (ref. [5]).

f) sca-j TC decision to support the use of the package prefix org.oasisopen,
    assuming that the oasisopen.org domain is acquired by OASIS (ref. [6]).

g) OASIS TC Admin acknowledges this and passes it on to the OASIS IT
    department (ref. [7]).

h) Decision from OASIS TC Admin to require the use of org.oasisopen
    without OASIS acquiring the oasisopen.org domain (ref. [8]).

i) Note from Dave Booz reopening the appeal (ref. [9]).

The appeal is reopened on the following grounds:

Technical:

1. Contradictory OASIS TC Admin positions on the need for domain ownership
    between a) in which lack of domain ownership was used to reject org.osoa,
    d) in which lack of domain ownership was used to reject org.oasis, and h)
    in which lack of domain ownership was stated to not be an issue.  A clear
    and consistent OASIS position on domain ownership that follows Java
    conventions and industry best practice is needed.

2. Using a package prefix without owning the corresponding domain does not
    follow Java conventions and industry best practice.  Section 7.7 of the
    Java Language Specification says: "You form a unique package name by first
    having (or belonging to an organization that has) an Internet domain name,
    such as sun.com. You then reverse this name, component by component,
    to obtain, in this example, com.sun, and use this as a prefix for your
    package names, using a convention developed within your organization
    to further administer package names."

Procedural:

3. The earlier appeal was suspended pending completion of discussions
    between OASIS TC Admin and the sca-j TC, but OASIS TC Admin did not
    complete those discussions.  Instead OASIS TC Admin issued a new
    decision h) that they knew to be contrary to the TC's position as
    expressed in f), and did not engage in any consultation or discussion
    with the TC before issuing that decision.

  Simon Nash         Individual            OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  David Booz         IBM                   OASIS SCA-J TC Co-Chair
  Michael Beisiegel  IBM                   OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Martin Chapman     Oracle Corporation    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Mark Combellack    Avaya                 OASIS SCA-J TC Co-Chair
  Anish Karmarkar    Oracle Corporation    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Jim Marino         Individual            OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Michael Rowley     Active Endpoints      OASIS SCA BPEL TC Voting Member
  Ashok Malhotra     Oracle Corporation    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Mike Edwards       IBM                   OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Bryan Aupperle     IBM                   OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
  Pradeep Simha      TIBCO Software Inc    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00022.html
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00007.html
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200805/msg00003.html
[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200805/msg00003.html
[5] Simon Nash email to Eduardo Gutentag, 5/8/08
[6] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/download.php/28356/SCA%20Java%20Minutes%202008-05-15.doc
[7] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200805/msg00043.html
[8] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200811/msg00017.html
[9] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200811/msg00096.html