Subject: Re: [sca-j] [ISSUE 55] SCA Java Specifications do not Adequately Define theComponentType of a Java implementation - Updated Proposal

Hi Mike,

Regarding the multiplicity... Just like checking for the size incase of an
array or collection, the user code can always check for null in case of
scalars to avoid errors.  In case of no @Property and @Reference
annotations, we are computing reference and properties as if a @Property or
a @Reference annotation without any attributes is specified on the fields
and methods. And when there is a reference defined, we will want it wired
typically whether it is multivalued or not (I recall that we rejected an
issue that proposed to change the default value of required to false in
@Reference annotation).  IMO, it will be confusing if the reference is
mandated & injected in the case of scalar reference and not in the case of
an array/collection.

++Vamsi
Apache Tuscany Committer  http://tuscany.apache.org
Apache Geronimo Committer and Member of PMC  http://geronimo.apache.org

             Mike Edwards
             <mike_edwards@uk.
             ibm.com>                                                   To
                                       "OASIS Java"
             12/12/2008 18:30          <sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [sca-j] [ISSUE 55] SCA Java
                                       Specifications do not Adequately
                                       Define the ComponentType of a Java
                                       implementation - Updated Proposal

Vamsi,

Thanks for a thorough review.  I've attached an updated version of the
proposal that fixes the errors you found on
Lines 395, 398.

As for 475-477, my reasoning goes as follows:

- if a field is present that looks like a reference, then I think that
field would typically have to have a value in order
for it to work - so I take the view that it must be 1..1 rather than 0..1
by default, otherwise we are likely to run into
errors fairly often.

- if a field is present that is an array/collection of references, then I
take the view that by default Java code would
typically always test the size of the array/collection, which means that a
size of 0 is acceptable and so it is more
permissive to have the multiplicity default to 0..n rather than 1..n.

This is a personal view and it would be interesting to get the views of
other folk on the TC.  I can see the argument
about consistency, but on the other hand, if the developer wants to be
specific, we have some very nice annotations
that will get them exactly what they want...

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com