Subject: RE: [sca-j] [ISSUE 65] There is no lifecycle defined for SCA Components -Updated proposal revision 3

Mark,

I am having problems with the diagram included in the proposal document.

If I view the diagram in Word 2003, all I see is a blank space.  If I view it with Open Office, I can
see it.  This needs fixing.

I suggest that the diagram is placed inside a bounding box and also that it is given a caption.

Other comments:

1) 4.2.4 Running State

"The component implementation MAY invoke operations on any injected references."
should be changed to
"The component implementation can invoke operations on any injected references."

- to be consistent with section 4.2.3

2) 4.2.4 Running State

"The SCA Runtime must allow invocations on all injected references of the component implementation."

This is very vague.  Once the references have been injected, the implementation  code can invoke them
and the SCA runtime has no control over this.  So what is really meant here?  If you mean that the invocations
must reach some target service, then this is not at all certain - and a failure is not necessarily an error caused
by the SCA runtime.  The Assembly spec spends quite a lot of words on describing cases where the target
service might not be available and what errors must be raised if it is not available.  I'm not sure that it is a good
idea to try to reproduce all of these cases here.

3) 4.2.6 Terminated state

Does this state have no normative statements?  Such as:

"The SCA Runtime MUST NOT invoke Service methods on the component implementation."

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com