Subject: Re: [sca-policy] Proposal for Issue POLICY-94: Allow intents to beattached using an element

Ashok,

I'm not sure that I see a proposal here yet.

You say:

"These functions could be extended and
sharpened to take advantage of attributes on the intentAttachment element.
"

...but there are no standard attributes on the intentAttachment element you describe below.

If you mean that there could be extended attributes on the intentAttachment element, then this is true, but
the Policy spec has no business describing those extended attributes, nor does it have any business
in describing any XPath functions which take advantage of those non-standard attributes.

I think that it would be wise to simply propose that there is an <intentAttachment/> subelement for both
<binding.xxx/> and <implementation.xxx/> and that the meaning of these subelements is the same as
the meaning of the @requires attribute on those elements.  The description of the <intentAttachment/>
element can indicate its extensibility via the XSD in the usual way.  (Actually, why isn't the element called
<requires/> ??)

Going any further and discussing new or changed XPath functions would imply standardizing extension
attributes is taking things too far, I believe.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com