sdd-comment message

Subject: RE: [sdd-comment] VersionRangeType

Jason,
  You are correct in that version is not a numeric that can be compared.
We had this discussion at the F2F in FLA.

Regards,
Randy George

Senior Technical Staff Member
Tivoli Software, IBM Software Group
Austin, TX
(512) 838-0752     T/L 678-0752

Jason Losh <Jason.Losh@sas.com>
02/19/08 10:58 AM

Julia McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"sdd-comment@lists.oasis-open.org" <sdd-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [sdd-comment] VersionRangeType

Hi Julia,

How are the semantics of FixName any different than the semantics
associated with the VersionRangeType based upon my proposal?  MinVersion
and MaxVersion are of type VersionType which is xsd:string.  FixName is
also xsd:string.  How are the greater than/less than comparison's
semantically different?  There is no rule that MinVersion and MaxVersion
can't be "Joe" or "Sam" respectively and as such the comparison issue
raised for FixName is also inherent in MinVersion/MaxVersion.  I see no
difference.

The issue you raised is why I recommend we revisit Version in the 1.1
version of the specification.  For 1.0, however, I am looking for a tweak
that gets us closer to having something that works and I think adding
FixName to MinVersion/MaxVersion gets us much closer.

And I would like to amend my proposal based on Randy and I's exchange last
night and state that we should remove FixName from VersionRangeType and
only have FixName associated with MinVersion and MaxVersion.

Cheers,
-Jason