sdo message

Subject: Priorities for SDO 3

Title: Priorities for SDO 3

Hi Everyone,

Looking over our the main points in our charter, I would assign the priorities as follows

High Priority:
Enhancements to Static SDO (especially harmonization with other frameworks such as JAXB and JPA)
Improved XML/XSD Support  (our minimum requirement here is to be able to parse and generate any XML document)

Should Have:
Organization of SDO Type System and Helpers
Enhancements to SDO Metadata

Nice to Have:
Features related to the Data Access Services (DAS) Specification

Not Required:
Notification Support
Interoperability with .NET
SDO XML Path Support
Service Level Programming API

Already Completed:
Relaxing containment requirements

Very Mixed Feelings About:
API cleanup, especially using Generics in the official APIs.  -  Certainly, the small issues here should be worked on, I'm more concerned about a large refactoring of the APIs.  So far, SDO 3 is shaping up to be backwards compatible with 2.1.  Much as I think having a central class with 160 methods severely hurts our acceptance, I'm not sure that cleaning up the API alone is worth breaking backwards compatibility.

Best Regards,
Ron