sdo message

Subject: Re: [sdo] Priorities for SDO 3

Issue 139 is near the top of my list.  There are a number of other C++ issues, but the priority of them priority ties into the .Net question.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

Frank Budinsky <frankb@ca.ibm.com>

01/09/2009 12:23 PM

sdo@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [sdo] Priorities for SDO 3

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ron's priorities.

The only change I would make is that at least some amount of "Organization
of SDO Type System and Helpers" is a "Must Have". I think SDO 3 should at
least provide a clean HelperProvider class that implementations don't need
to replace (i.e., the comment in HelperProvider.java: "This class may be
replaced by another implementation." is a very ugly approach). I'm
planning to send some ideas on this soon.

Thanks,
Frank

"Barack, Ron" <ron.barack@sap.com>
01/09/2009 07:37 AM

<sdo@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
[sdo] Priorities for SDO 3

Hi Everyone,
Looking over our the main points in our charter, I would assign the
priorities as follows
High Priority:
Enhancements to Static SDO (especially harmonization with other frameworks
such as JAXB and JPA)
Improved XML/XSD Support  (our minimum requirement here is to be able to
parse and generate any XML document)
Should Have:
Organization of SDO Type System and Helpers
Enhancements to SDO Metadata
Nice to Have:
Features related to the Data Access Services (DAS) Specification
Not Required:
Notification Support
Interoperability with .NET
SDO XML Path Support
Service Level Programming API
Already Completed:
Relaxing containment requirements
Very Mixed Feelings About:
API cleanup, especially using Generics in the official APIs.  - Certainly,
the small issues here should be worked on, I'm more concerned about a
large refactoring of the APIs.  So far, SDO 3 is shaping up to be
backwards compatible with 2.1.  Much as I think having a central class
with 160 methods severely hurts our acceptance, I'm not sure that cleaning
up the API alone is worth breaking backwards compatibility.
Best Regards,
Ron