sdo message

Subject: AW: AW: [sdo] change summary.doc

Hi Blaise,

What behaviour would you like to see?   Do you want to restrict orphanHolders to root elements, or do you want the change rendered as a move rather than a delete, or some other alternative?

Ron

Von: Blaise Doughan [mailto:blaise.doughan@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 22. Juni 2009 16:28
An: Barack, Ron
Cc: sdo@lists.oasis-open.org
Betreff: Re: AW: [sdo] change summary.doc

Hi Ron,

"I agree that it might seem odd that an object that is moved outside the scope of the change summary is rendered as a delete, but I don't think it's any odder for the proppsed definition of scope (ie, including orphanHolders) than for the 2.1 definition of scope.  In other words, if C was previously contained by B, and then moved to A, then it would also be rendered in the CS as a delete.   Does the behavior seem more incorrect for orphanHolders than it does for containment?  In both cases, we have the same simple rule: anything that was in scope before, but is no longer is scope is rendered as a delete."

The reason it seems "more incorrect" is that in the containment case (see below) if B had a ChangeSummary and a containment relationship was formed between A & C then B would lose its reference to C.

    A --containment--> B --containment--> C

In the example I gave before (see below), B will still reference C (as strongly as it did before), but the ChangeSummary will tell me something changed (when nothing really did).

    A --containment--> B --non-containment--> C

-Blaise

Barack, Ron wrote:
7C3EF93EEBC6EB4A8B4470853DE86566DA556F@dewdfe18.wdf.sap.corp type="cite">
Hi Blaise,

I think your understanding of the proposal is correct.

I agree that it might seem odd that an object that is moved outside the scope of the change summary is rendered as a delete, but I don't think it's any odder for the proppsed definition of scope (ie, including orphanHolders) than for the 2.1 definition of scope.  In other words, if C was previously contained by B, and then moved to A, then it would also be rendered in the CS as a delete.   Does the behavior seem more incorrect for orphanHolders than it does for containment?  In both cases, we have the same simple rule: anything that was in scope before, but is no longer is scope is rendered as a delete.

The trouble with restricting orphanHolders to root elements is that, effectively, it makes that scope of the change summary the entire graph, and I think, since CS has performance and memory costs, it would be better to be able to express the boundries, ie, that scope is not the entire graph.

I believe DataDirect has mentioned in the past the idea of using DataObject.delete() to determine which orphans should be rendered as being deleted, and which should be rendered as simply no longer being referenced.  A similar API could be used for distinguishing orphans that should be rendered as created.  The idea has some appeal, since removing a non-containment reference maybe should have different semantics that removing a containment reference (indeed, this is the case with 2.1).  I'll leave it to them to provide details.

I guess we have something (besides headers) to discuss at tomorrows meeting ;-).

Ron