sdo message

Subject: ISSUE 131: xsi:nil problems

Hi Guys,

As far as SAP is concerned, this is  the only remaining issue which could possibly be worth spending time on during the SDO 3.0 timeframe, partly because the proposal (with a few variants) is pretty much on the table, we just need to make some decisions.

The last email on the issue is from March last year:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdo/email/archives/200903/msg00035.html

To summarize:

  1. Xsi:nil is essentially a “technical property” that can be set on any data object, but not through the normal interfaces.
  2. there are helper methods for setting and reading the xsi:nil attribute.
  3. For backwards compatibility, when parsing XML, no object is created (i.e., the property’s value will be null) UNLESS the XML contains other attributes.  This means the proposal really doesn’t round trip XML->SDO->XML, because the elements with xsi:nil will disappear, but our hands are tied by 2.1.1 behavior.
  4. ChangeSummary behavior has not yet been defined.

Please review this issue, I will put it on today’s agenda, and we can at least discuss if it’s worth discussing.

Ron