search-ws-comment message

Subject: Re: [search-ws-comment] searchRetrieve Accept Parameters

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Hammond, Tony<t.hammond@nature.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim:

> I think that relying on content negotiation alone would place the bar to
> entry at an unacceptably high level.

Why?  The Web as a whole has gotten along fine this way:)

> I would also note that many applications do not support HTTP semantics.
> Markup is one such application where anchored link elements (<a>) are mapped
> to simple GET requests. Not much scope there for adding in HTTP header
> directives. Nor for making alternate HTTP method calls.

I would think it a fair assumption that applications that want to use
a spec that is layered on HTTP, must support HTTP semantics.  In your
example of an "a" element, the browser adds the HTTP Accept header for
the user with quality indicators - and its much better positioned to
do so since it actually knows what media types it supports.
Programmatic clients obviously have more freedom.  In either case,
there needs to be a way to indicate which media type can be expected
from the target URL and that should be done with a "type" attribute,
like OpenSearch.

> (Always wondered
> what would be the effect of allowing e.g. a 'method="DELETE"' attribute.;)

You'd be overloading the HTTP method - generally a bad thing.

> Seems to me that OpenSearch does not preclude content negotiation which is
> purely an HTTP application-level operation. It merely specifies the binding
> of an endpoint (or endpoint template rather) to a media type (which is a
> required attribute). As you say content negotiation could work on an
> OpenSearch description to select the right link type.

I'm not sure I understand your point here.  The "type" attribute in
OpenSearch is (as I understand it) meant to allow the client to select
an appropriate representation - its still up to the client to have
Accept headers that support that representation.

> SRU needs the ability to specify a media-typed endpoint in order to embrace
> OpenSearch.

I think I'm starting to see the dilemma.  OpenSearch has a descriptor
with a Url element that allows it to express "this link is a
'text/html' representation" via its "type" element, whereas, SRU only
has a URL - leaving less expressive flexibility.  But the equivalent
to OpenSearch's 'type' element isn't an 'Accept' header.  The former
is simply a factual declaration of the media type on the other end of
a URL, whereas the later is an indication from the client of
desired/preferred content types.  Would you envision the httpMethod
parameter being expanded to indicate multiple media types with
'quality' and 'level' precedence parameters?

> To allow also for an "in URL" means of selecting the media type
> means that links to specific representations can be included directly in
> document markup, RDF graphs, etc. is a win all round. And this is in
> addition to allowing for HTTP content negotiation - which is anyway a tricky
> thing to master at best,

Links can already be included to specific representations.  It seems
the crux of the issue is that SRU is limited to a URL and, therefore,
trying to stuff all things within the URL.  Why not have a
non-normative section stating how the URL might be used in several
standard markup languages to indicate the representation of a given
URL?  It seems that the current spec is going down the path of a
complete protocol (SOAP-style) that happens to ride over HTTP, vs.
just embracing HTTP.  IMHO, this is going to lead to problems (e.g.
resolving conflicts between request parameters).

--tim