search-ws-comment message

Subject: Re: [search-ws-comment] searchRetrieve Accept Parameters

Hi Tim:

> I think I'm starting to see the dilemma.  OpenSearch has a descriptor
> with a Url element that allows it to express "this link is a
> 'text/html' representation" via its "type" element, whereas, SRU only
> has a URL - leaving less expressive flexibility.  But the equivalent

Presumably the place to include this is in the Explain record which is the
counterpart of the OpenSearch Description?

That said, and it does seem a good idea to me, I would still maintain that a
simple parameter for selecting media type is a useful fallback for clients
that do not (or are unable or unwilling) to tangle with HTTP headers.
There's a lot to be said for self-describing URLs.

Cheers,

Tony