Subject: Groups - Teleconference modified

Minutes added.  Please review and let me know if you want anything changed
or added.

 -- Ray Denenberg

Teleconference has been modified by Ray Denenberg

Date:  Friday, 07 December 2007
Time:  09:00am - 10:30am ET

Event Description:
Toll-free number: 888-448-7101
International Dial-In: See http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf

Participant code:7646073

Host: Ralph

Agenda:
1.	Relationship with OpenSearch RFC effort.

2.	Starting point
a.	Is OpenSearch or SRU  our starting point for the protocol?
b.	Is ATOM 1.0 or SRU response the starting point for response?
c.	OpenSearch description or SRU Explain?

3.	ATOM issues.

4.	Mandatory elements/features (Ralphs Just Say No)

5.	List discussion: SRU or OASIS list.

6.	Query Type. Ralph suggests let the query type name be the parameter name (no explicit query type parameter) Should there be  two (or more) well-known queries written into the standard: cql and pq.   Thus cqlQuery = ..   or pQuery= ..
Other query types supported by a server and discovered via explain?

7.	Meeting schedule.

Minutes:
Present:
     Voting Members:  Matthew, Ray, Larry, Ralph, Jan, Ashley      6/7: quorum
     Non Voting Members: Farrukh
     Invited Guest (and soon-to-be member): Rob

We agreed to completely revise (actually discard) the agenda based on recent discussion, and we began with a general preliminary discussion.

General Preliminary Discussion
The following principle was agreed upon:  we will develop a base (or core) specification, an abstract model from which serializations/profiles/binding/extensions/specializations will be developed.  It  isnt decided what terminology we will use:  serialization/profile/binding/extensions/specialization, or several of these may  be used with different meaning.  For now we will use profile and binding interchangeably.

The base specification will probably be relatively easy, the hard part will be figuring out how to make Explain represent this abstract model.

The base spec will not make anything mandatory, other than to supply a description record.  So the recent (contentious) issue of mandatory response format becomes moot, as do the issues surrounding ATOM. Multiple query type parameter probably becomes moot: different profiles will specify different query types, but each will only specify one query type.

There will be profiles (at least) for SRU 1.2, OpenSearch, and SRU 2.0.  Hopefully there will be several additional profiles, developed by individual communities.  Some profiles (one or more) might be developed within OASIS as part of this committees work, and others will be developed outside, in other standards groups or communities.

SRU 1.2
The first order of work will be to draft the core spec and the SRU 1.2 binding, as proof of concept.  (Thus the SRU 1.2 binding will be done within this committee.)

OpenSearch
We hope that the OpenSearch people will work with us on this. It may be that the OpenSearch spec itself will be formalized as an RFC within IETF.  That can occur almost entirely independent of OASIS, and our work would be to write a binding document which for the most part would point to the RFC.  Before the RFC work is done the binding can point to the existing OpenSearch spec.

We want to establish a liaison relationship with OpenSearch people to coordinate this activity. We will email DeWitt Clinton inviting him to participate in a conference call (dedicated to OpenSearch). Farrukh will draft the message.

SRU 2.0
Originally the OASIS committee idea was conceived to address the difficult problems of SRU (proximity, for example) and the resulting standard would be a major revision of SRU  - as opposed to a minor revision, for example, moving from 1.1 to 1.2 where the changes were minor, did not require a formal process, and was done within the SRU implementor group.   It was also originally envisioned that SRU 2.0 would incorporate OpenSearch.   So we are clearly taking a different direction than originally thought.  But there is still a need to develop SRU 2.0  - though separate from OpenSearch, but under a common umbrella, so-to-speak.

So the question becomes where the work on SRU 2.0 should be done.  It is an open question.   Wherever it is done, within OASIS, within the SRU implementor group, NISO, we (the search WS  TC) need to stay close to the effort to be sure that we dont end up with a result that is not compatible with the core spec.

Coordination with SRU implementors
Ray will draft a note to the SRU list (for review by the committee) describing this process. After that, we will develop the proof-of-concept draft core spec and 1.2 binding; in the interim we will curtail (for the most part) discussion with the SRU.

Future Meetings
Next meeting will be next Thursday, December 13, at 2 PM US Eastern time (7 PM GMT).  Following that we will have regular biweekly meetings Thursday at 9AM US Eastern time (2 PM GMT), beginning December 20, although the December 20 meeting is subject to cancellation, in which case the next meeting (following December 13) will be January 3.

To reiterate, the December 13 meeting time of  2PM (US ET) is a one-time event.  The subsequent meetings, Thursday 9AM (US ET) will be the regular time, to occur every two weeks (each subject to cancellation if not needed).

We will revisit this schedule in a few months, particularly when Kerry (who is on leave of absence from the committee) is able to rejoin us.

We will likely schedule an irregular call for the OpenSearch discussion, if necessary in order to accommodate DeWitts schedule.

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=17171

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20071207T000000Z
DTSTART:20071207T140000Z
DTEND:20071207T153000Z
SEQUENCE:2
SUMMARY:Teleconference
  http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf\n\nParticipant
  code:7646073\n\nHost: Ralph\n\nGroup: OASIS Search Web Services
  TC\nCreator: Ray Denenberg
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=17171
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=17171
END:VEVENT