Subject: Groups - Search WS TC Call (Conference Call) modified

Minutes added.

 -- Ray Denenberg

Search WS TC Call (Conference Call) has been modified by Ray Denenberg

Date:  Monday, 20 October 2008
Time:  09:30am - 10:30am ET

Event Description:
Toll-free number: 888-448-7101
International Dial-In: See http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf

Participant code:7646073 (initiator add 8984)

Host: Ralph

Agenda:
1. Roll Call

2. Version 2 proposals.
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/version2proposals.html

3. WebDAV Search
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-search-18.txt

4. Description Language
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/email/archives/200810/msg00029.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/email/archives/200810/msg00003.html

5. Plan

6. Other business

7. Next meeting

Minutes:
Present: Ray, Ralph, Larry, Kerry, Matthew, Janifer
Absent: Rob, Ashley

Most of the meeting focused on the proposals page.
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/version2proposals.html,  first a general discussion including the process,  and then each proposal individually.

The proposals page is at the SRU site. Mary McRae (our OASIS contact) had suggested that we put it on the committee wiki instead.  A reasonable suggestion, however Ray had difficulty porting it to the wiki - it doesn't really support table features that HTML does, and it doesn't support the "format html" directive.   So instead, at least  temporarily, we will put up a page on the wiki that simply lists the proposals with a link to that proposal on the proposal page which for now will remain on the SRU page.

We would like to announce this to the SRU list as soon as possible in order to get feedback before our next call in two week.  So for now we will keep the proposals flexible, listing all of the alternative approaches, but if there is no feedback for a given proposal by the next call, then we, the TC will decide on the direction for that proposal.

Commenting and discussion process.
We had taked about establishing an OASIS listserv for public discussion of the standard, however we now understand that the OASIS public discussion listservs are for existing standards, for discussion about implementation of the standards; they are not for discussion of a developing standard.  Those who wish to actively participate in development of the standard are expected to join OASIS.  Thus the public listservs are "comment" lists.   They are for non-members to post comments about a developing standard.  And all comments to these lists become part of the pubic record of comments on the standard, and the TC is obliged to resolve all such comments.   If there is discussion over some other (non OASIS) list of a particular topic related to the development of the standard, that discussion does not become part of the OASIS public record, and so if, for example, we have a discusion over the SRU list about a feature, someone should summarize that discussion and post the summary to the OASIS list. We need to make these procedures clear to the SRU implementors.

There is a suggestion that for each feature we try to determine who will be implementing it.  So we will ask this of the implementor community.

We discussed the proposal individually.

1. Element selection.
It is generally thought by the TC that unless there is positive feedback and support for this feature, it will be dropped.

2. Same container.
This is an example of a feature that we have been discussing for many years. Z39.50 doesn't support it, people always have asked how to do it and we have not been able to give a satisfactory answer.

3. 'window' relation
Another feature that Z39.50 does not support and people express a need for from time to time.  XQuery Full-Text has incorporated it.

4. boolean modifier 'prox'
This feature doesn't really make sense and will be dropped from the list.

5. faceted search
All members present agree that the scan approach should be removed.  Matthew offered a third approach: via specialized database.   All three approaches will be presented.

6.  multiple query types
No discussion, both approaches will be presented.

7. Alternative Response Format
A third approach was suggested: the client indicates the preferred response format in the HTTP accept header field.  All three approaches will be presented.

8. Deprecate operation and version parameters
No Discussion.

10. Result size precision
This will obviously need much more discussion.

 9. Non-XML Records
This will be eliminated.

WebDAV
As we were running late, we had a brief and non-conclusive discussion of webDAV. It isn't at all clear that we need to give it any attention.

Ray will modify the table, create a list on the wiki with links to the table and announce this to the SRU list, inviting comment, which we will discuss at the next call

Next Call: Monday November 3, 0930.

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Monday, 19 May 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 02 June 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 16 June 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 30 June 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 14 July 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 28 July 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 11 August 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 25 August 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 08 September 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 22 September 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 06 October 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 03 November 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 17 November 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 01 December 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET
Monday, 15 December 2008, 09:30am to 10:30am ET

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=18389

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20081020T000000Z
DTSTART:20081020T133000Z
DTEND:20081020T143000Z
SEQUENCE:16
SUMMARY:Search WS TC Call (Conference Call)
  http://www.intercall.com/sprintservices/SPCIntlAccessNumber.pdf\n\nParticipant
  code:7646073 (initiator add 8984)\n\nHost: Ralph\n\nGroup: OASIS
  Search Web Services TC\nCreator: Ray Denenberg
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=18389
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/search-ws/event.php?event_id=18389
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR