Subject: Fw: [search-ws] ResponseType parm and Accept header are equivalent (and some implications of that)

Please read the message below from Andy.    We had changed the name of  the
responseType parameter to 'accept' and then to '$accept', and now he
suggests that we instead name it 'http:accept'.

So the choices are: responseType, accept, $accept, and http:accept.

He also suggests that we add similar parameters for Accept-Charset,
Accept-Language, and Accept-Encoding.

Opinion, please.

--Ray

----- Original Message -----
From: "Houghton,Andrew" <houghtoa@oclc.org>
To: "Houghton,Andrew" <houghtoa@oclc.org>; "Young,Jeff (OR)"
<jyoung@oclc.org>; "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>; "Ray Denenberg, Library
of Congress" <rden@loc.gov>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 11:44 AM
Subject: RE: [search-ws] ResponseType parm and Accept header are equivalent
(and some implications of that)

Previously, I made the suggestion of using a '$' prefix to indicate
information that normally would be obtained from HTTP headers.  I'm going to
back off that suggestion and make another suggestion in light of my recent
work with WADL for our LDA project.  When using WADL to describe Web based
services it allows you specify the parameters used in URI queries.  However,
the names of these parameters must conform to xsd:NMToken.  A '$' is not a
character allowed by xsd:NMToken.  The WADL specification is quite
restrictive for what is allowed as a query parameter name given IETF RFC
3986 "Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax" which allows '$' in
addition to many other characters.  Given this discrepancy between RFC 3986
and WADL, I would like to propose another suggestion for your consideration.
We will be using the following suggestion for our LDA project.  Since WADL
restricts a query parameter name to xsd:NMToken and xsd:NMToken allows ':'
one could steal an idea from the micro formats community, just prefix the
HTTP specific query parameter names with http: so you have:

http:Accept
http:Accept-Charset
http:Accept-Language