Subject: Facets

General query: the client can't pick which of the supported facets to
have results ordered on. I can't just ask "facet results only on
subject and author, because I'll never use source"? Or is the way to
do it facetLimit*dc.source=0, so you have to specify facets
subtractively rather than additively?

Associated with that, I assume there's the usual standard way of
discovering what facets are supported by a server.

1.1.1. Facetlimit:

The server decides how to truncate reported facets to meet the limit?
The client may well have preferences for which 10 facets to
prioritise, although presumably this is merely a matter of using
facetSort, and have facetLimit return the first 10 facets according to
that ordering. Still, I'd forestall the impression that the selection
of facets is arbitrary.

Is facetlimit*dc.subject and facetcount*dc.subject novel syntax? I'd
be happier with wedging this index-specific use of facelimit as a
modifier somehow into the specification of facet; the syntax looks
idiosyncratic otherwise.

1.1.1.3 facetSort:

No possibility of combining multiple sortBy fields, e.g. recordCount,
then alphanumeric when the record count is the same? If there were
more sortBy fields, there would me more point in that, of course.

What does "occurrence" mean? Presence vs. absence in the index?

Sorting of facets should have the flexibility of sorting in general,
as supported by the Sort Context Set (among others); I assume there's
no problem in using sort modifiers for facetSort as well as vanilla
SortBy?

1.1.1.4.2 FacetLowValue, FacetHighValue

These really should be specific to particular facets; I fear
unintended results if a server attempts to apply them blanket to all
facets (numbers to text, to give the obvious example).

===
  O Roeschen Roth! Der Mensch liegt in tiefster Noth! Der Mensch liegt
in
  tiefster Pein!  Je lieber moecht'  ich im Himmel sein!   ---
_Urlicht_
  opoudjis@optushome.com.au ::   http://www.opoudjis.net :: skype:opoudjis
                              Dr Nick NICHOLAS, Link Affiliates,
Melbourne