Subject: Re: [search-ws] Fw: [search-ws-comment] Suggestions

I do have to agree with Ralph here:

> We make our product so complex that no one
> wants to use it.  Compare that to OpenSearch which is so stupid that it
> is busted and yet is widely adopted and leaves pretty much everything to
> extensions.

I have a direct analogy for us in the OpenURL work. There there was a de
facto (SFX) spec in operation which was taken to NISO for fast track
standardization. Some 3 years (and more) later NISO emerged with a much more
generalized model for OpenURL which built in various addition such as
registries, communities, transports, formats, etc. We even tackled
identifiers head on and registered a URI scheme 'info:' against the
prevailing determination.

And in practice, the simple original OpenURL format is the one still in the
widest use.

But even closer to home look at SRW and web services.

Truth is people shun complexity.

I even wonder about some of the already included features such as Search
Result Analysis.

So I would definitely relegate Suggestions to an application/extension level
status.

Tony

On 7/12/09 21:42, "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org> wrote:

> "Useful" is a fuzzy concept.  More and more I've come to regret the
> baggage we've loaded our work with.  We keep saying that we can hide
> that complexity by deferring it to other documents and then resist
> having multiple documents.  We make our product so complex that no one
> wants to use it.  Compare that to OpenSearch which is so stupid that it
> is busted and yet is widely adopted and leaves pretty much everything to
> extensions.
>
> I think there is a lesson to be learned there.  Unless we think everyone
> is going to want to use this feature, then let's leave it out.
>
> Given that attitude, my first candidate for removal would be result
> sets.  Not used by anyone.  (Yes, my server creates and manages result
> sets.  Not a single one of the clients that I've written use them.)  But
> so many implementors, on reading our documentation, think they have to
> implement result sets.
>
> Ralph

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS