Subject: RE: [search-ws] recordPacking - A Proposal

My problem is that what you are proposing is "server magic".  The client
is essentially saying, I don't like the standard way of presenting these
records, please make it better.  Whenever we have done this we end up
having to provide the client with a way of controlling the magic.  We
have to provide a way for the server to describe the magic and the
client to control what magic they get.  It is completely
non-interoperable because the magic you perform will be different from
the magic I perform.  In the long run, it is not binary, just as
recordPacking is not binary.

Ralph

This is
> not a mathematical exercise in identifying permutation groups. Just
data
> exchange between consenting applications.
>
> I would suggest there is a logical unpacking for data properties, same
as
> there is a logical way to go when you're submerged under water and
busting
> for air. Data likewise would head homewards.
>
> And this is borne out by consumer apps (e.g. RSS readers, browsers,
etc)
> that are likely to find known properties (mostly DC, I guess) at the
item
> level rather than buried down in the architecture.
>
> And then you would argue why not make this the default version, and I
would
> say because then we break symmetry with the canonical SRU/XML record.
And

********
> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by
anyone who
> is
> not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail
in error
> please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage
> mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept
> liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own
and not
> expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its
agents.
> Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its
agents
> accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this
e-mail or
> its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
> attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of
Macmillan
> Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication.
Macmillan

********