security-core message

Subject: Re: Interim requirements II!

Stephen,

>[R-ReAuth] Ability for server to signal that re-authenticaiton is
>required where you'd normally expect an authorization decision.
>
>I didn't phrase that too well, but I guess folks'll recognize the
>issue.

Let me test your theory that folks will recognize the issue.

We discuss a requirement with our customers which may or may not be the
same as this.
We call it either "step-up authentication" or "authorization based on
strength of authentication".
The idea is that the authorization rules state that in order to be granted
access to a resource,
the requester must authenticate using a particular mechanism, which is
normally viewed as
"extra strong" or "strong enough for purposes of this specific access".

We also discuss another requirement which is at least related to this.  I
don't think we have
a name for it, so I'll make one up: "verification of presence".  This
requirement says that
in order to perform some action the requester must re-authenticate (perhaps
using the same
mechanism as initial authentication) in order to verify that he or she
hasn't walked away
and abandoned a session which has subsequently been "adopted" by somebody
else.
People familiar with ATM machine security will recognize this one.

Is either of these what you mean?  Are both?

--bob

Bob Blakley
Chief Scientist, Security
Tivoli Systems, Inc.