security-services-comment message

Subject: RE: [security-services-comment] XASP: Permitting use of Subject Alt Names?

Tom,

The problem with using DNs as subjectNames is that they usually contain
too much information.  DN syntax isn't the issue - in principle a proper
Directory Information Tree could be used.  But the reality is that most
CAs do not issue DNs linked to a proper DIT, they throw in whatever the
customer wants, including attributes like email addresses and common
names.

Assume the data model:

Entity/Principal (person, physical device, "legal person" i.e.
corporation)

Identity (relationship of an entity to an IdM, e.g. employee, customer)

DN (identity may have multiple DNs due to common name changes, email,
...)

Credential (DN used in multiple credentials: signing/encryption,
renewal)

If a full certificate is used as a Subject, attributes are tied to that
specific certificate and die (or need to be remapped) when the
certificate is renewed.  My goal is to be able to move in the opposite
direction, up the chain, so that authorization attributes are tied to an
identity regardless of how many DNs exist for that identity.

Yes, it would be possible for an IdP to have an internal mapping
mechanism that would take a full certificate from the query message and
extract whatever information is needed to form a subject name.  But it
would be preferable to define a standard mapping so that the subject
name appears explicitly in the query protocol.  That way vendors have
something to develop and test against, and customers have a standard to
point to in their requirements.

Allowing a certificate as a BaseID would at least provide protocol data
to enable IdP-internal mapping based on SubjectAltName, so I wouldn't be
against that.  But a standard for nameid-format:X509SubjectAltName would
be better.

Dave