Subject: RE: Web-browser Binding Vulnerabilities + "Cures"

That is what SAP experienced too. Therefore, our SSO solution uses
(digitally signed user info in) cookies....

-----Original Message-----
From: Anders Rundgren [mailto:anders.rundgren@telia.com]
Sent: Freitag, 12. Januar 2001 13:30
To: S2ML
Subject: Web-browser Binding Vulnerabilities + "Cures"

The following does IMO apply to many schemes including S2ML:

The use of references to assertions etc. in the form of URLs which are
usually given to an
authenticated client by a credential issuer using an HTTP 301 (redirect) has
at least one
problem: A credential consumer cannot easily determine if it is the original
client that
handed over the URL containing such a reference. A simple browser URL window
snooper program could "snatch" such tokens and transport them to somebody
else.
In spite of secure https transports.

The only "cures" I can think of are putting the critical data in a cookie
[sorry :-( ], which requires a
fairly deep browser hack [open source would make it trivial though :-) ] to
snatch, and IP bindings.
The latter is not universal due to proxies (all clients on the same proxy
looks like one IP for the credential
consumer) etc. but it does improve the binding a bit.

Note: I don't insist that the current binding scheme should be changed, this
is simply "information".

Anders