Subject: Re: What shall we name our specification(s)?

Yes, but I thought that since we're designing
more than just a ML (e.g. we're attributing it with
protocol semantics) that the "ML" in the name was
too constraining.

SAXP or Security Assertion eXchange Protocol would be
closer to what we're about, IMHO.

Of course, this name omits the "Service" aspect
which is, I believe, one of the compelling aspects
of all of this work. Defining an interoperable service
"interface" (the Auth/Az Request/Response pairs) is as important
an aspect as the exchange of the assertions themselves
as it will allow for the development/migration of applications
that can delegate these (Auth o/e) functions to a blankety-blank
compliant service provider.

Maybe Security Assertion Service and eXchange Protocol
(SASXP)?

My $0.02,

Chris

George_Robert_Blakley_III@tivoli.com wrote:

> I second Marc's nomination here (in fact I think I suggested the same
> thing).  I think "SAML" is the most descriptive
> and accurately-scoped alternative.
>
> --bob
>
> Bob Blakley
> Chief Scientist, Security
> Tivoli Systems, Inc.
>
> "Chanliau, Marc" <MChanliau@netegrity.com> on 01/29/2001 03:56:11 PM
>
> To:   "Orchard, David" <dorchard@jamcracker.com>, Philip Hallam-Baker
>       <pbaker@verisign.com>, "'Eve Maler'" <eve.maler@east.sun.com>,
>       security-services@lists.oasis-open.org
> cc:
> Subject:  RE: What shall we name our specification(s)?
>
> How  about SAML (Security Assertion Markup  Language).
> Marc Chanliau

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XML Technology Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01824-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.Sun.COM
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;0