Subject: [security-services] FW: XML Encryption Last Calls

FYI, XML Encryption is now in the last call review phase at the W3C. As we
have a number of members of SSTC who are also participating in XML ENC, I
don't think we need to run a separate review process - but lets discuss this
at next week's focus group session.

- joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Reagle [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 3:43 PM
To: chairs@w3.org
Cc: jhodges@oblix.com; joe_pato@hp.com; hal.lockhart@entegrity.com;
carlisle.adams@entrust.com; Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com;
lehors@us.ibm.com; paul@arbortext.com; dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com;
cmsmcq@uic.edu; fallside@us.ibm.com
Subject: XML Encryption Last Calls

Dear Chairs,

On behalf of the XML Encryption Working Group [xenc], I am
pleased to announce the publication of our Last Call Working Drafts. If you
are in the cc: I've identified your associated activity as a potential
commentator. Please let me know if you plan to comment -- or if you expect
to need more time than 3 weeks -- by Oct 26. Thank you!

[xenc] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/2001Oct/0001.html

__

REQUIREMENTS
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xml-encryption-req-20011018

We've been working to satisfy our requirements for which we've had
consensus on for quite some time. The only difference since April is the
updating of algorithm requirements to track the spec. We ask dependent
activities to confirm the requirements are satisfactory and, if necessary,
send compelling proposals with (optimally) evidence of implementability.

SYNTAX AND PROCESSING
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xmlenc-core-20011018/

The WG feels this specification satisfies the requirements. Design has been
accompanied by implementation. Consequently, we appreciate comments with
respect to errors we have made in reading or implementing dependent
specifications, errors in our own exposition, or further implementation
experience.

DECRYPTION TRANSFORM FOR XML SIGNATURE
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xmlenc-core-20011018/

This document satisfies the requirements that xenc and xmldsig be able to
work together over partially signed/encrypted XML documents. Design has
been accompanied by implementation. However, wider review and
implementation are critical.

__

While we welcome all comments to the public WG list [2], the following
communities in particular are invited to comment.

DEPENDENCIES
http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/10/xmlenc-charter.html
    1. XML Signature WG
    2. XML Schema WG
    3. XML Core WG
    4. Internationalization IG

ORTHOGONAL (but likely to intersect in applications)
    1. XML Protocol
    2. SAML
    3. XACML

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/