Subject: [security-services] Fwd: TC comment mail lists

Here's how so-called "TC comment mail lists" are presently supposed to work.
See especially the third and following paragraphs. Nominally, it seems to me it
meets our needs if the list is indeed configured as-advertised below.

thoughts?

JeffH

Chairs:

In yesterday's meeting of the Process Advisory Committee (PAC - the
committee that wrote the OASIS TC Process) we discussed, among other things,
the operation of the TC mail lists and in particular the comment lists.

The goal of the comment lists is to allow the public at large to make
comments on the work of the OASIS TCs and for those comments to be made
available to the TC members. My -- perhaps clumsy -- way of implementing
this was to have postings to the comment list forwarded to the TC's main
discussion list, but this has not worked well.

In discussion with the PAC we have come up with something that I think is
much more workable and easier to implement, and provides additional
benefits: Rather than the comment list being a one-way conduit for messages
to be passed to the TC list, the comment list will become a public
discussion list. To achieve this I will reconfigure the comment lists so
that 1) messages from the comment list will not be forwarded to the TC
discussion list, 2) anyone may subscribe to the comment list, but only
subscribers may post to the list, and 3) the comment list is archived. The
TC chair will be the list owner, so will have to approve any postings coming
from non-subscribers, but I'll configure the list so that new subscriptions
do not need to be approved.

(I'll try to get these configurations updated today, as I'm on vacation
starting tomorrow and won't be back until the 5th.)

In order for public comments to be passed on to the TC I request that at a
minimum the chair of each TC subscribe to the comment list, or at least
check the archives of the comment list on a regular basis. Other TC members
are also urged to subscribe to the comment list.

For those TCs who are maintaining their own web pages, you should modify the
Mail Lists section to reflect this change. For example:

as the body of the message. Subscribing to the list does not constitute
gaining committee membership; OASIS members must contact the committee chair
to inquire about becoming a committee member.

* The public may discuss and make comments about the work of the technical
committee on the XXX-comment@lists.oasis-open.org list. Before sending a
message to this list you must first subscribe; send an email message to
XXX-comment-request@lists.oasis-open.org with the word "subscribe" as the
body of the message.

In keeping with OASIS' policy of open discussions, the archives of both of
these lists may be viewed by the public at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/XXX and
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/XXX-comment

</karl>
Karl F. Best