Subject: RE: [security-services] SOAP 1.1 schema namespace processsing

>To close, I'd concur with Rich and suggest the SOAP binding reference
>this envelope schema (SOAP encoding isn't mentioned or used in SAML) as
>the syntax for the SOAP envelope it requires.

I agree. We should be using an upto-date namespace for SOAP envelope
schema. Most SOAP processor will accept a SOAP message with an Envelope
element associated with the namespace:

http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/

The SOAP Profile of SAML Example includes this. However, we may want
to clarify this in the Binding specifications that:

"SOAP Binding for SAML and SOAP Profile of SAML support SOAP 1.1
namespace."

>I would also support at least a SHOULD, if not a MUST, on the use of
>the 2001 schema namespaces.

Yes. The upto-date SOAP 1.1 envelope.xsd schema definition uses
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.

This is also included in the SAML Profile example. While SOAP/1.1
compliant nodes will always process 2001/XMLSchema namespace, I agree,
a "SHOULD" would minimize implementation/interop issues particularly
amongst public domain XML parsers. This maybe added in conformance
section and/or some implementation section.

>Are there "official" SOAP 1.1 schemas that are up to date, or is the
>whole idea non-applicable since SOAP 1.1 isn't a standard in that
>sense?

Additionally, I am also curious about SAML Profile applicability to
SOAP 1.2 Envelopes, namespace which uses following namespace:
http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope

Note: W3C has access restricted above location although it is
used in the SOAP 1.2 examples at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/

While the intent of SOAP Profile of SAML was targeted at SOAP 1.1
envelopes, in the future service providers may also use SAML profile
of SOAP as the stating point for SOAP 1.2 envelopes. There may be
issues w.r.t. interop, if and when SOAP 1.2 begins to be used. SOAP
provides an extensbility model to deal with version transition
between 1.1 and 1.2 SOAP and mostm likely SOAP profiles in 1.1 and
1.2 will use that. I believe SAML Profile does not discuss anything
in this area.

---Zahid