Subject: [security-services] underspecified behavior for AuthenticationQuery ?

Jeff,

my understanding is that the correct response is
a), success, with an additional (optional)
<statusMessage> indicating that no assertions
could be returned. Any other error code indicates
an *error*, which is not the case here.

I could not find an explicit statement saying this in
the core-27. My suggestion would be to add a
section titled "Processing Rules for Queries" with
the language:

If the responder cannot find any assertions that satisfy the
constraints expressed by a query, the <saml:Response> element
MUST include a <saml:StatusCode> with value "Success". It MAY return
a <saml:StatusMessage> with additional information.

My suggestion would be to place this in section 3.4.4,
with the current contents of 3.4.4 placed in a sub-section
(3.4.4.1), as these are an additional elaboration of the
query processing rules.

- prateek