Subject: RE: [security-services] underspecified behavior for AuthenticationQuery ?

Emily,

The general rule is that unless there is a "real error", a success status
is returned with no assertions.

>>Scenario #1: The responder couldn't find the assertion
>>matching the AsertionID
>>12345 because it's not in the responder's assertion store, or
>>the assertion was
>>issued for a site different than the requester.

Response: Success, No assertions.

>>Scenario #2: The responder found the assertion. But the
>>assertion is expired
>>(time is not in the period between NotBefore and NotOnOrAfter
>>in Conditions).

Response: (1) Success, No Assertion
           (2) Success, Assertion included

In this case, either response is acceptable though my guess is that most
implementations will prefer (1).

>>For these two scenarios, do they qualify for an error, or
>>should we return
>>success and an optional <statusMessage> to list the reason?

A <StatusMessage> is a good idea (especially for debugging) but
it is not required.