Subject: Re: [security-services] Handling of acknowledgments

"Eve L. Maler" wrote:

> The issue of contributor lists came up a few times as we prepared for the
> big January publication date.  I would like to propose a consistent
> template for handling this issue that I hope is fair to all.
>
> Currently, the various specs have a list of contributors on page 1, in most
> cases listing the main document editor as a "first among equals" in
> alphabetic order in that list but in one case listing the main editors
> separately above.  These lists are a little idiosyncratic, built up over
> time but not with the same criteria applied in all cases.
>
> I suggest that we list the main editor(s) of each spec on page 1 as follows
> (along the lines of the core spec):
>
> Editors:
>    [sort on last names]
>    Joe Blow, DahtCalm
>    Jane Row, IvyEdu

[JeffH:]

Joe and I agree that having a consistent treatment for all the
editors/contributors to the specs is a Good Thing.

I suggest a build on your approach wherein both the Editors and Contributors
are listed on the first page, similar to the xmldsig spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/) and to our present specs other than core,
with the addition of specific acknowledgements called out in the appendix as
you suggest (e.g. "Krishna contributed the xmldsig section"; in addition to a
separate list of the overall list of voting members).

I don't think we need to do the 3-level breakdown that xmldsig/xmlenc do
between editors/authors/contributors (eg
http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Contributor.html) since we haven't been
working all along with that framework, and our contributor lists (suggestion:
folks who've participated in specifying prose and/or schema that's been
reflected in the docs) aren't enormously long. But, leveraging the criteria
they specify for authors/contributors is likely useful for compiling our
acknowledgements.