Subject: RE: [security-services] OASIS SSTC letter to authors of WS-Security(draft)

> Is it our intent to move forward with the use of WS-Security for the
> SAML SOAP profile even if it is never taken over by a standards body? If
> the answer is no then we should probably state that directly by adding a
> sentence of the form...
>
>  "The OASIS Security Services Technical Committee feels that movement
> towards open standardization of WS-Security is a requirement for it to
> be incorporated into the upcoming SOAP profile for SAML."
>
>  If the answer is yes, then I'm concerned about the stability and
> adoption of it and the negative effect that could have on
> interoperability for the SAML SOAP profile.

I think the TC consensus is that if WS-Sec does go forward in an open
standards process then we would use it; but if it doesn't, well, we don't
know.  We could probably have a lively and extended debate on what would
happen in a variety of speculative scenarios.  I think the current
proposed message is clear enough without sounding like an ultimatum, and
without obliging us to engage in the extended debate.  So I'd rather not
include your proposed sentence.

 - RL "Bob"