Subject: Re: [security-services] Concrete proposal for changes to fix thefragment ID problem

One additional thought on this proposal: The item #n I propose below
(tell people to use absolute URIs) should perhaps also be added to the
core spec as a strong SHOULD in 1.1.  This isn't backwards incompatible,
and will serve as a useful heads-up indication of what will change in 2.0.

	Eve

Eve L. Maler wrote:
> For reference, my original proposal on this subject can be found at:
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200206/msg00036.html
>
> The main difference between what I'm proposing now and what I proposed
> in June is that we need to do things in a slightly different order and
> manner, now that we know the "erratum" path is closed to us.  Here are
> the changes needed (referring to line numbers in cs-sstc-core-01, and
> assuming that the version in which this will happen is "1.1"):
>
> ========
> 1. In Section 2.4.2.2, change lines 598-615 to read as follows:
>
>   "A URI reference representing the format in which the <NameIdentifier>
> information is provided. See Section 7.3 for some URI references that
> MAY be used as the value of the Format attribute.  If no value is
> provided, the identifier
> urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:nameid-format:unspecified (see Section
> 7.3.4) is in effect. Regardless of format, issues of anonymity,
> pseudonymity, and the persistence of the identifier with respect to the
> asserting and relying parties, are also implementation-specific."
>
> ========
> 2. Remove lines 627-628 (they will be effectively moved to Section 7, as
> you'll see below) and lines 629-630 (they have been moved up, as you can
> see above).
>
> ========
> 3. Add a new Section 7.3 after line 1619:
>
> 7.3 NameIdentifier Format Identifiers
>
> The following identifiers MAY be used in the Format attribute of the
> <NameIdentifier> element (see Section 2.4.2.2) to refer to common
> formats for the content of the <NameIdentifier> element.  The
> recommended identifiers shown below SHOULD be used in preference to the
> deprecated identifiers, which will be removed in the next major version
> of the SAML assertion specification.
>
> 7.3.1 Email Address
>
> Recommended URI: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:emailAddress
> Deprecated URI: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:assertion#emailAddress
>
> Indicates that the content of the <NameIdentifier> element is in the
> form of an email address, specifically "addr-spec" as defined in IETF
> RFC 2822 [RFC 2822] §3.4.1. An addr-spec has the form local-part@domain.
> Note that an addr-spec has no phrase (such as a common name) before it,
> has no comment (text surrounded in parentheses) after it, and is not
> surrounded by "<" and ">".
>
> 7.3.2 X.509 Subject Name
>
> Recommended URI: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:X509SubjectName
> Deprecated URI: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:assertion#X509SubjectName
>
> Indicates that the content of the <NameIdentifier> element is in the
> form specified for the contents of the <ds:X509SubjectName> element in
> the XML Signature Recommendation [XMLSig]. Implementors should note that
> the XML Signature specification specifies encoding rules for X.509
> subject names that differ from the rules given in IETF RFC 2253 [RFC 2253].

> [...]

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 883 5917
XML Web Services / Industry Initiatives      eve.maler @ sun.com