Subject: RE: [security-services] Credentials Collector proposal for SAML 2.0...

Title: Credentials Collector proposal for SAML 2.0...
Carlisle,

I think the main use-case of interest to us is CC as translator (case 2.2). I am curious though why you used the term "translator" instead of "proxy" or "intermediate". I had thought of this as a case where some entity other than the AA collects credentials and then interacts with the AA to obtain a SAML assertion or other proof of authentication (e.g., such as a proprietary token). BTW, what is your view of the AA returning a proprietary token? I guess as long as it was "wrapped" in SAML we are OK.

Examples of such internediates include web farms or a web site that communicates with my "home site" (e.g., place of employment) for authentication purposes.

I agree with your recommendation that we focus on Type 1 messages in case 2.2. So our main focus would be defining an expressive request-response protocol between CC and AA.

- prateek