Subject: RE: [security-services] Credentials Collector proposal for SAML 2.0...

Hal -
In reading Carlisle's proposal and your original paper, it seems to me that
Carlisle's "CC as a Translator" is analogous to your "Pass-through" method.
The caveat being that the Translator CC explicitly translates credentials
before forwarding it to the AA. In your paper you argue that a weakness of
the Pass-through method is "In the typical case, where the CC is imbedded in
a Web server filter, the web server would not able to access any of the
application data.".

I would argue that the a Web server filter that requires access to
application data is acting as a relying party. That is, I imagine a Web
server filter to act as both CC and a Relying Party. However, these roles
are distinct. I.e., the Web server should know when it is acting as a CC and
when it is acting as a RP. The bottom line is this: once the authentication
process is done, the SE is in possession of an assertion which is then
presented to the RP and the application session ensues from there. In this
context, the Web server (acting as a relying party) can set up its own
secure session with the SE and have access to the application data.

If my argument holds water, then I think Carlisle's "CC as a Translator" is
a very good initial step because fundamentally it allows SEs to remain
unchanged.

Thanks,
Jahan

Jahan Moreh