Subject: FW: Query on XML2003-OASIS-W3C December 2003 (architecture) [off list] (2 of 2)

Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.
The Most Trusted Name in e-Security
Tel: 781-515-7115
Mobile: 617-510-0893
Fax: 781-515-7020
mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 12:08 PM
To: bellwood@us.ibm.com; kathryn.r.breininger@boeing.com;
wjbumpus@yahoo.com; doug.bunting@sun.com; jonathan_clark@lionbridge.com;
lclement@windows.microsoft.com; cruellas@ac.upc.es; jdurand@fsw.fujitsu.com;
jeffery.eck@gxs.com; jevdemon@microsoft.com; marc.andrue.goodner@sap.com;
kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com; richard.jacob@de.ibm.com;
tony.jewtushenko@oracle.com; ian.c.jones@bt.com; drj@us.ibm.com;
ckaler@microsoft.com; kreger@us.ibm.com; klan.kropp@vignette.com;
klawrenc@us.ibm.com; pmishra@netegrity.com; dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com;
szabolcs.payrits@nokia.com; Philpott, Robert; pope@secstan.com;
peter.reynolds@bowneglobal.ie; darran.rolls@waveset.com; tom@coastin.com;
gavenraj.sodhi@ca.com; richt2@us.ibm.com; wiecha@us.ibm.com
Cc: dee.schur@oasis-open.org
Subject: Query on XML2003-OASIS-W3C December 2003 (architecture) [off list]

     You've already seen my colleague Dee Schur's note to the [chairs] list
that the hosts of XML2003 have offered free meeting space to OASIS TCs who
wish to consider a face to face meeting at this widely-attended December
event in Philadelphia, PA, US.  Members of our TCs often must pay for
meeting space, so this may be an attractive opportunity. (As you know, we
also are working on possible OASIS interoperability demos at this meeting,
as a related but separate event.)
     In addition, we are discussing potential joint and parallel programs
between OASIS and W3C.  We have had strong and fairly effective liaison
between our staffs for some time.  We think that the potential for further
demonstrating collaborative capabilities, and general willingness to
share  information where appropriate, is very promising.  Particularly,
there are a number of W3C panels which may be able to co-locate and conduct
parallel meetings with corresponding or related OASIS TCs.  This would
encourage the members of each to visit the other meeting, enabling
some  productive cross-fertilization.
      (Note that, if you find this interesting, we're suggesting your TCs
consider co-located parallel meetings, not *combined* ones.  In our
experience, arranging for members of one panel to visit another is fairly
easy, while sorting out rules for an actual *joint* meeting can be much
harder.)
      Among the specific opportunities that staff have identified is
potential co-location of OASIS TCs with a web service or SOA focus, and the
W3C working group with responsibility for web services architecture.  We
would like to get an informal indication of interest (or non-interest)
fairly quickly, for planning purposes, as co-location obviously would
require some advance planning.  I plan to send essentially this message to
the relevant TC lists** shortly.  I am sending this to you as their chairs
first for your information.  We would value your take on whether this is
likely to be an attractive opportunity, and how (and whether) you advise us
to pursue it.
     Best regards    Jamie Clark

** At first take, this probably includes DSS, the ebXML TCs, Security
Services (SAML), UDDI Spec, WSDM, WSIA/WSRP, WSRP and WSS, and perhaps also
Provisioning (SPML), Translation WS and XLIFF.  WSRM and ebXML MSG, while
also WS/SOA-facing, are not listed here on the hypothesis that they might
be more interested in possible co-location with the W3C XML Protocol
working group with responsibility for SOAP.  Similarly WSBPEL seems more
likely to focus on possible interaction with the W3C Choreography panel,
rather than W3C WS Architecture.  However, these are rebuttable working
assumptions.  Any views you have about this rough list also would be
helpful.

~ James Bryce Clark
~ OASIS Open
~ +1 978 667 5115 x203 office