Subject: XML Encryption guidance issue

This message is in response to the discussion on XML Encryption
guidance, and is also to close an action item from the 24 August Focus
group call [1], item #4
"Frederick to get it started with a message summarizing some of the
relevant fields."

Note that I sent a separate message regarding mandatory algorithms [2].

The proposed schema revision from Scott [3] should be helpful, because
it clarifies that an EncryptedKey element may be associated with a
single EncryptedData element in the EncryptedElement type. This
clarifies how an EncryptedKey may be associated with an EncryptedData
element. For this reason we could indicate that an EncryptedKey
ReferenceList is not required, nor is an EncryptedKey CarriedName, but
it does not seem necessary and could preclude deployments where these
are useful for other reasons.. Because the EncryptedKey is optional we
may wish to state when it is recommended to use.

I am not aware of use cases that require a more complicated usage
involving multiple recipients since the specifications outline the
recipients of encrypted items.

Super-encryption, which means encrypting content that includes encrypted
content, is not specified in the SAML specifications, but this does not
mean it couldn't occur in a SOAP messaging component of the system - but
the SAML specifications are silent on the topic and I believe this is
appropriate.

Key management is something very specific to deployments and I am
hesitant to suggest restrictions. Thus general restrictions on
ds:KeyInfo should be out of scope, although clearly the topic needs to
be addressed for specific deployments.

We can re-iterate the XML Digital Signature recommendation against use
of MgmtData but this doesn't seem particularly useful or necessary.

Thus I do not see need for specific recommendations regarding XML
Encryption apart from the algorithms conformance and the clarification
of when we expect EncryptedKey to be generally used for EncryptedData
and conveyed together as noted in the schema. We should remain silent on
Key exchange, identification and management.

thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia