Subject: RE: [security-services] "Registration" process for third-party SAML customizations

Eve,

There was brief discussion on the last focus call. The main issue was
the term "SAML customizations". The suggestion was to replace that by
"SAML Profiles, Bindings and Extensions". Some documentation may be
found in the
minutes:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200410/msg00040.h

- prateek

-----Original Message-----
From: Eve L. Maler [mailto:Eve.Maler@Sun.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 3:31 PM
To: 'security-services@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: Re: [security-services] "Registration" process for third-party
SAML customizations

Forgot to bring this up on today's call.  Any comments?  I don't think
we particularly need to rush to get this settled as long as we do it by
the time V2.0 is final; it probably needs a quorate discussion, so
that'll be Nov 9.  (I think Mary McRae also wanted a chance to convince
me that we should be using the OASIS Registry for this...)

	Eve

Eve L. Maler wrote:

> Here's the sort of thing I was thinking of adding to the SAML website
> regarding a "registration" process.  What do you all think?
>
> ========
> SAML Customizations:
>
> SAML is designed for extensibility, and it is anticipated that some
SAML
> users will want to custom-design their own profiles, attribute
profiles,
> authentication context classes, and/or extensions as appropriate for
> their purposes.  The SSTC invites third parties who are customizing
SAML
> to notify us of the existence of their documented SAML usage so that
we
> can list and link to the documents on this site.  This listing is
> intended to help other SAML users more easily find and use existing
> customizations.
>
> It is expected that any such customization document adhere to any
> guidelines set forth in the relevant SAML specification; as one
example
> of a guideline, each profile must be assigned a unique URI.
>
> To notify the SSTC of your customization, use the [link: comment
form].
>  The SSTC reserves the right not to list any customization, and no
> endorsement by the SSTC of any listed customization is implied.
>
> If you are an OASIS member and wish to contribute a SAML profile or
> other customization to the SSTC for consideration in future work on
> SAML, please refer to the OASIS TC process for the proper way to make
> contribution.
> ========
>
>     Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com