Subject: Re: [security-services] Additional comments on core-02

Rob and Scott,

I am not sure that I understand the existing lines 624-633:

> If the <Subject> element contains both an identifier and one or more
> subject confirmations, then the
> SAML authority is asserting that if the SAML relying party performs
> the specified
> <SubjectConfirmation>, it can treat the entity presenting the
> assertion to the relying party as the
> entity that the SAML authority associates with the name identifier for
> the purposes of processing the
> assertion.
> If the <Subject> element contains only one or more subject
> confirmations (without an identifier), then the
> SAML authority is asserting that if the SAML relying party performs
> the specified
> <SubjectConfirmation>, it can treat the entity presenting the
> assertion to the relying party as the
> entity that the SAML authority associates with the claims in the
> assertion for the purposes of processing
> the assertion.

To test my understanding of these lines, I reworded them as follows. I
may have changed
the meaning in the process, but that was not my intent.

> When the <Subject> element includes only one or more subject
> confirmations,
> the SAML authority is asserting that an entity that satisfies any of
> the specified subject confirmations
> can be treated as the entity that the authority associates with the
> claims in the assertion.
>
> When the <Subject> element includes both a name identifier and one or
> more subject confirmations,
> the SAML authority is asserting that an entity that satisfies any of
> the specified subject confirmations
> can be treated as the entity that the authority associates with the
> identifier.
>
> The SAML relying party can make these associatons for the purposes of
> processing the assertion.

If this is what was meant, does this imply that when there is a name
identifier, the
entity that satisfies the subject confirmation cannot be treated as the
entity that
the authority associates with the claims in the assertion?

I think that the relying party should be allowed to make either
association; when
the name identifier is present.

Ron