Subject: RE: ISSUE[UC-5-01:AuthCProtocol]

This is clearly an area of some controversy. First, it is my
opinion this issue has nothing to do with [UC-1-04:ARundgrenPush]
so I will not address that issue at all.

The exact text of this requirement is taken from S2ML 0.8a, p.7,
Section 2.5. The context for this requirement is the following:

S2ML incorporates a credential validation service called (misnamed)
Authentication. In order to maintain (at least my own) sanity, I will
refer to this service as S2ML_Auth.

S2ML_Auth is characterized in the following manner:

(p.7, Section 2.5)
<quote>
Native authentication services in S2ML 1.0 are limited to login,
based on name and password, validation of X.509v3 certificates
and public keys.

Challenge-Response authentication protocols are outside the
scope of S2ML 1.0
</quote>

We have not as yet discussed a service similar to S2ML_Auth within [OSSML],
so in a sense the whole discussion has been somewhat without foundation. If
we are going to include a service such as S2ML_Auth than we could return to
this discussion. I have issued a note explaining the rationale for such
a service [3] and I look forward to further discussion on this topic.

--------------------------------------
Returning to relevant discussion on the list:

Hal [2] comments:
<quote>
	1) So far as I can determine so far, the only thing we plan to do
with authn
	is define a way for somebody to say "I have authenticated so & so,
and I
	used the such and such method." We have said we are not designing
any new
	authn methods. I see nothing to suggest we are going to define a
series of
	methods for passing authentication tokens back and forth, in the
manner of
	GSSAPI or RADIUS.

	If I am correct, is seems all we need is a registered set of values
for each
	type of authn and that is the end of it. If this is the case, why
not
	support lots of methods?
</quote>

Further, Nigel [1] points out that
<quote>
	My vision of how assertions will work is that
	they will carry around information about how entities have
authenticated.
	I does not seem too onerous to define lots of methods. It also
doesn't
	mean all conforming implementations have to support all
authentication
	schemes. If a principal authenticates at a site A, using scheme X,
site
	A could create an assertion and make that available to site B. Site
B could
	understand this assertion without itself directly supporting
authentication
	scheme X.

	Also I believe we should allow for extensibility, so that new types
	can be added if a deployment requires it (another requirement ;-)).
</quote>

This sounds good to me, except that we do need to call out some standard
forms of credential. The <AuthData> element in S2ML attempts to do so;
as suggested above, some better structured form of extensibility is also
required in this space.

In [OSSML] we are so far dealing only with the end-results of a subject's
authentication
act; do we need to go further? Is there a need for a credential validation
service that certifies credentials? Is this another form of
[UC-4-02:AttributeAuthority]?

- prateek mishra

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-use/200102/msg00038.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-use/200102/msg00036.html