Subject: Group 3: Sessions

Based upon your suggestion, I'll move this to the use case list..  I've also
changed the subject line.

I disagree with the notion that logout in distributed environments being
difficult as difficult as you say because of the environment we are in.
Session mgmt is in the web browser use case.  For them to have clicked the
"logout" button, they have done an action on a web site, thus breaking the
connection to the process that they may have been previously performing.  If
the logoff (or a stop or a different process button is pressed) is done at
the same web site as the non-instantaneous process, the site will have to
clean up the process anyways - regardless of whether we say logout is in
scope or not.  If the break action (logoff...) is done at a different site -
such as the source site - then the non-instantaneous process web site is
still going to have to cleanup as the tcp connection got broken.  So whether
the process web site hears about a break from an external saml call to
delete the session or it notices it when it's HTTPOutputStream generates an
exception, it's still going to have to muck about to clean things up.

So to me there is no issue of distributed environment for non-instantaneous
processes.

On the issue of the client tracking all the sites participating, it's
actually the source web site that tracks the destination web site.  And the
source web site is going to have to know a priori about possible destination
web sites - because it will have to know either who to push a SAML request
to or who to send a SAML response to.  So it's trivial to track which are
the active destination web sites participating in the session.

Our model is that assertions can time-out, but the timeouts are based upon
touch times rather than first access.  Although I could see how there could
be configuration to determine either mode/profile and would be comfortable
in allowing both cases.

So I don't see the difficulties that you are concerned about.  Please
disabuse me of my ignorance on this.

Cheers,
Dave