set message

Subject: RE: [set] XSLT, abstraction layers and map problemstandardizations

Dale,

Thanks for the clarifications.  I'm not sure we need to go down the XSLT path itself.  In CAM we are using XPath expressions to capture the relationships around content and business rules.

Commercially Oracle have their mapper product that generates XSLT to morph between target formats - and works using the familiar visual drag and drop metaphor between left and right hand panels (can we claim to have "invented" that also?!?)

Historically I've tended to steer clear of actual formal mapping challenges.  In part because I have two patents issued on this - that are now referenced by 39 other patents (unbelievable nonsense!).

So - my focus has been in developing templates that provide all the mechanisms and support for mapping - but are not actually mapping.  Therefore - folks can implement their own mapping solutions from what we are providing - without us having to go into that part.  XSD of course is walking a similar balancing act.

Also historically there are so many 1,000's of mapping solutions - and what they all lack is a common open public standard for expressing the actual content and assembly rules.  That is why we developed CAM the way we have - so there is an open way for people to exchange templates - that then mappers can quickly and easily utilize to automate the associated exchanges and content morphing.

I'd suggest that this is the better path for SET to tread also.

What I'm particularly interested in is CONTENT ASSEMBLY.  This is the last frontier here - CAM is covering off all the other aspects - but allowing people to rapidly and easily identify existing components - then integrate these in a consistent way - into their own exchange templates.  Consistent content assembly makes for easy mapping to physical applications!

Experts who are familiar with all the various nuances and domains can do this today manually.  However - how do we facilitiate this for the majority of practitioners - rather than a few?  NIEM.gov is facing this exact challenge today.  They have a formal procedure that works manually - but take months to master and do.

I have a draft internal conceptual design done - that hopefully I will be able to share with the SET and CAM communities here as we move forward.  However - as ever - establishing the focus and objectives is the first need.  What exactly are we aiming to build and who is the audience?  Once we have that agreed upon here - then we can move to the next phase - implementation!

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks, DW