soa-rm-editors message

Subject: A (somewhat) radical proposal

One of the recent ideas to surface in the RM was the concept of
visibility.

I happen to really like this idea because:

a. it is nice and abstract, without an a priori tendency to
implementation
b. it characterizes (for me at least) the essential requirement that
for a service provider and consumer to interact they must be able to
'see' each other
c. it covers much more than simply description: visibility is a core
perception

On the other hand, I think that this now makes the section on
discoverability somewhat out of key. For one thing, despite our best
efforts, we have not been able to take the implementation aspects out
of discoverability.

I think that the core reason for this is that discover is an action
verb, and visibility is a predicate.

I propose to refactor the section on discoverability and focus on
visibility.

Comments?

Frank