Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] [soa-ra] why or why not composition needs to addressed

Ken et al,

Sorry for the delayed response on this - I was out of town visting my
native NJ the second half of last week (catching up now). Some partial
answers below.

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3:16 PM
To: Chiusano Joseph
Cc: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] [soa-ra] why or why not composition needs to
addressed

OK, Joe, questions just for you (unless anyone else wants to pipe in):

- What is the hang-up for getting BPEL out?  I remember one of the
rationales for submitting BPEL to OASIS instead of W3C was W3C takes too
long.  However, WS-CDL finishes Candidate Rec testing at the end of this
month (but I have no insight whether any problems were uncovered to slow
further advancement).

[JMC] Here are some articles on the BPEL delay from last November that
may help:

"BPEL 2.0 is delayed"
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/10/28/HNbpel_1.html

"BPEL gets bopped... again"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/?p=460&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zd
blog

I noted that the link to Dave Chappell's (the Sonic Dave Chappell) blog
post is broken - not sure why.

- Part of the WS-CDL spec is a formal model based on pi calculus that is
the basis of the spec content.  I believe BPEL had a formal model in the
beginning.  Does it still?

[JMC] Not sure what we really mean by "formal model" (could have
different interpretations), but I believe the answer is yes, at least
according to my definition of "formal model".

- Your write-up links BPEL to WSDL 1.1 constructs.  Is there any thought
of mapping to WSDL 2.0 (also in CR)?

[JMC] Good question - I checked the latest draft
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17320/wsbpel-specific
ation-draft.doc) from 3/16/06 and it appears that the answer is no at
this time (search on "WSDL 1.1" and "WSDL 2.0").

- Is there a more detailed write-up that goes into the type of process
control that BPEL is intended to represent and what is outside its
scope?  For example, must the decision making be done within the BPEL
engine or can it make external calls to more sophisticated decision
support capabilities?

[JMC] I would recomend searching on "An opaque expression is a
placeholder for a corresponding Executable WS-BPEL expression" in the
latest WS-BPEL draft, which discusses decision points. The answer
may/may not be clear there.

- Orchestration represents central control while choreography is more
peer-to-peer.  Do you know of anything that discusses when you would use
one rather than the other?  For example, I could imagine a choreography
where some peers were more equal than others and the limit would look
like orchestration.  OTOH, I could imagine an orchestration where the
main engine delegates control and, in the limit, you really lose site of
a central control.  Are these naive suppositions that may be doable in
theory but prohibitive to implement?

[JMC] I would recomend looking at the latest WS-CDL draft
(http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-cdl-10/), where the relationship between
choreography and orchestration (the W3C view) is discussed. Search on
"The figure below demonstrates a possible usage of WS-CDL". If anyone
would like me to answer questions on the WS-CDL spec that are relevant
to our work, just let me know - I've absorbed the spec in its various
forms over the past several years and know it pretty well.

Interestingly, the terms "orchestration" and "choreography" do not
appear in the latest WS-BPEL draft (not that they have in the past
either).

Just getting started but have to leave for another meeting :-)

[JMC] Hope this helps.

Joe

Ken

---------