Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] How to Refer to Various Uses of the word "machine"

One opinion for machine:

When I use the term machine I use it as a metaphor to
convey something meaningful being built with many
working parts.  For me, the term machine does not take
on the formality of an embedded part of the design of
a software architecture.  In other words, the term
machine sounds good for slide presenations, marketing
purposes, and to gain interest but it does not look
good as a term in a formal software reference
architecture.

The term "machine" does show up twice in the Goals,
Critical Success Factors, and Requirements.  The first
usage is consistent with using machine as a metaphor:

A reference architecture is like an abstract machine.

The second usage could raise a question about what
kind of machine:

Any machine is necesssarily broad in its applicability
and is often under-constrained.

Many engineers might think of several kinds of
machines that are not broad in their applicability and
are not under-constrained.

Other opinions?

Danny

--- Michael Stiefel <development@reliablesoftware.com>